Bulb vs Live Time

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Nikstar65, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Nikstar65

Nikstar65 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2012
    Hi Everyone, I have had my OMD-Em5 since April 12 and very happy with it. I still haven't learnt how to use the Bulb or Live Time function. I went down to the river last night, set up with Tripod - On the M mode I moved the dial to Bulb set apperture to F22 put a Variable ND Filter on and pressed the shutter. I noticed there was an explosion of over exposure. So I don't know what I am doing wrong. I had to do a lot of post production work in Lightroom to bring down the Exposure! - I counted the exposure for 6 seconds - this seemed to be enough as any longer and the screen just whites out. Any instructions or guidance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    The First Photo is the Original - the Second Photo was done by iphone in Camera +

Attached Files:

2. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Can you share more information on your set up with us? For example, was ISO fixed at 200 or other levels? What's the maximum F-stop reduction in your Variable ND Filter?

I have tried a Variable ND Filter set at a maximum of 9-stop reduction, and was easily able to take shots at 30-sec exposure during the day with the camera set at around f/10 and ISO200.

3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Just wrote the following in the "Star Trails" thread: