Bulb Setting Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AaronE, May 23, 2013.

1. AaronE

AaronE New to Mu-43

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    I can not find the bulb setting or how to turn it on. I can turn on Live Bulb but this does not make the camera shoot in bulb mode. Under shooting modes there is no bulb option. I have reviewed the entire David Busch's OMD book and manual and I can not find a location where you turn bulb mode on.

Also my supper control panel seems to have disappeared. Use to be there but now I cannot find it or turn it on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Aaron

2. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    I don't own an OMD, but usually you have to se the camera to M

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure you just have to spin the shutter speed dial (in M) past all the way to the minimum (past all the "set" speeds) and that's where it'll be...

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    What do you mean Live Bulb does not make the camera shoot in bulb mode?

I access bulb mode by going to M mode and then turning the dial past 60" shutter speed... there you can see the Live Bulb mode and Live View mode.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Live Bulb will operate like bulb mode on most cameras, opening the shutter as long as you keep the shutter release depressed.

Live Time is a new function which allows you to press once to open the shutter and press a second time to close it. This allows you to do super long exposures even without a remote release.

The "Live" part means that you will actually get a live preview on the screen updated regularly throughout your exposure. Yet another first for long exposure. With the inclusion of live preview and live time mode, I think the Oly cameras have become the long-exposure king. The new E-P5 also added Live Histogram during long exposures and has returned to a starting ISO of 100, which Olympus had deviated away from for a stint. The previous ISO200 base was certainly not ideal, but the Olympus dark frame subtraction (known as "Noise Reduction") for exposures over 1 seconds does work well.

This is how you turn on the Super Control Panel: go to Setup => Sprockets => Disp/PC => Control Settings and for every mode turn Live Guide and Live Control to OFF, then turn SCP (Super Control Panel) to ON in every mode.
    When you return to shooting, you will then be able to press OK and get a one-screen quick menu of all your essential shooting options. If another menu pops up (ie, like Remote Commander, Art, or Scene menus) then just press INFO and it'll cycle you back to SCP.

6. AaronE

AaronE New to Mu-43

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    Thank you all. I found bulb mode and got the SCP back. I find it very easy to accidentally change a setting on the OMD without knowing it. I am off to the beach to take long exposure photos.

Thanks again,

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Great Aaron! You may also want to start using the MySets (Custom Settings) to save your settings so you can always go reset and go back to them whenever you want. :)