Charlie
What is live time?
What is live composite?

Last edited:

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
Hi, surprised there has been no response to your questions.
As I understand it, Live time = the display interval at which the monitor is refreshed. The higher the ISO, the lower the refresh rate.
Live Composite = combining multiple images into a composite image showing the result of each combination on the LCD. You halt the process when you judge the image to be to your liking.
As said, this is my understanding only.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
@Equable that's not quite right, both give you visual feedback on long exposures, but for a theoretical 10sec exposure:

Live Time = one long expose, same as exposing for 10secs

Live Composite = composite image from many shorter exposures, same as stacking 10 x 1sec exposures

For Live Time you push the release to start and again to stop when things look properly exposed, but for Live Composite you choose an expose that protects your highlights (range: 1/2s to 30s iirc) and the camera keeps taking and stacking the images until you tell it to stop.

alan1972

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan Grant
I believe the only difference between Live Bulb and Live Time is that for Bulb you keep the shutter button depressed until you want to end the exposure, whereas for Live Time you press the button twice to start and then end the exposure. They are two ways of achieving an identical result. As already mentioned, Live Composite is quite different as it blends multiple exposures.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Thanks guys. Got it sorted now.
Googled it. I had no idea how it worked, or how to use it.
I thought it would be a lot more automated than it is, I should have known though. Manual mode, not much auto going on there.... stupid me :(

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
I thought it would be a lot more automated than it is
Ah, but "Live Composite" is more automated than a mere long manual exposure!

It uses a blending mode to combine multiple exposures, thus exposing more shadows than highlights, thus giving a lot more shadow detail without blowing out highlights.

And because noise is randomly additive, while light is multiplicative, Live Composite gives you the effect of a long exposure without the excessive noise that would come with a simple long exposure.

Try it; you'll like it!

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Devilishly clever alright.
I can’t wait to give it a go!
I knew what bulb was, because I’m over 50... :)
I ended up at get Olympus help and support, where it was explained properly. I would have never figured it out.
Step 1.Engage live comp
Step 2. Press menu! Who would have thought! Not me...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom