1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Built-in sound mics - all the same?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Steven, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Are the built-in sound mics on the m43 cameras of about the same quality or do some cameras have better mics than others? I am very impressed with the sound quality on the videos I take with my GX1 for example. I recall someone here mentioned that Panasonic cameras have better microphones that Olympus. Does anyone know more about this?
    Thanks.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My experience has been that the Panasonic mics are substantially better than Olympus. The OMD mic is much improved; the earlier PENs would clip very quickly. On the other hand the new OMD mic seems to have lost a lot of its bottom end.

The mics on my Sony seem comparable to the Panasonic GH2.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Thanks, that's very helpful. Would you say OMD and GX1 mics would generate roughly the same quality sound then ?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I can't speak to the GX1, but the G2 and GH2 did dramatically better in every situation i tried, compared to the Olympus cameras. The PENs (including the E-PM1 and E-P3) were basically disasters in club/concert type situations, as they spilled badly and unrecoverably into clipping. The OMD doesn't seem to clip so easily, but the audio is just thin.

This is what I got out of the G2 on-camera mic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_9kbYupvTA
    Not a lot to complain about there, honestly. I would expect the GX1 to be similar.