Built-in sound mics - all the same?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Steven, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Are the built-in sound mics on the m43 cameras of about the same quality or do some cameras have better mics than others? I am very impressed with the sound quality on the videos I take with my GX1 for example. I recall someone here mentioned that Panasonic cameras have better microphones that Olympus. Does anyone know more about this?
    Thanks.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    My experience has been that the Panasonic mics are substantially better than Olympus. The OMD mic is much improved; the earlier PENs would clip very quickly. On the other hand the new OMD mic seems to have lost a lot of its bottom end.

The mics on my Sony seem comparable to the Panasonic GH2.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Thanks, that's very helpful. Would you say OMD and GX1 mics would generate roughly the same quality sound then ?

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I can't speak to the GX1, but the G2 and GH2 did dramatically better in every situation i tried, compared to the Olympus cameras. The PENs (including the E-PM1 and E-P3) were basically disasters in club/concert type situations, as they spilled badly and unrecoverably into clipping. The OMD doesn't seem to clip so easily, but the audio is just thin.

This is what I got out of the G2 on-camera mic:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_9kbYupvTA
    Not a lot to complain about there, honestly. I would expect the GX1 to be similar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.