1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Built-in profile for Oly 25mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mronen, Oct 13, 2014.

1. mronen

mronen Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Hello,

Just bought an Olympus 25mm 1.8, to use on my E-M5.

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR 8.6) reported it 'it cannot find a Built-in Profile' for the lens. Why? surely it's a modern lens, only came out last year.

Other lenses I have - Oly 12-50, Oly 40-150, Pani 20mm (older version) - are all recognized by ACR, however, an Oly 45mm 1.8 is not recognized. Is it a lens issue, or is it the E-M5?

With a Pani GX7, ACR reports it applied a built-in profile (both for the 25 and 45mm), but I'm not sure it does anything, it doesn't look so.

Can anyone comment on his experience?

Thanks,
    Moshe

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure why it might only sometimes indicate it, but because of the unique nature of the m4/3 standard, RAW converters can get the lens profiles directly from the RAW lens data, hence they don't need to have a separate profile installed.
    From http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/lens-profile-support-lightroom-4.html:
    For Adobe products, it's a bit limiting in that you can't even opt to turn the auto-correction off in order to trade-off sharpness and distortion. You can clearly tell the difference if you load the RAW in a converter where you can turn the corrections off - some m4/3 lenses have pretty noticeable barrel distortion when uncorrected...

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    DxO makes it's own profiles - and includes more features (lens specific sharpening that works very well). Not everyone gets along with the interface, but I like it.