Built-In Bounce Flash, Almost Free!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by oldracer, Nov 7, 2010.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    For some reason I got the idea tonight that it might be possible to use a small mirror to divert an on-camera flash upwards so it would bounce off ceilings. After making and trying a couple of prototypes, I found that the concept works quite well.

Here's the mirror mounted on my G1:

The mirror has a small metal tab bent 45 degrees and glued to the back. The tab inserts into the flash shoe:

Obviously I got lucky in being able to use the G1 flash shoe to mount the mirror, but my guess is that a little bit of creative Velcro design could make this idea work on almost anything.

I shot a few small objects and room interiors around the house and am actually surprised at the amount of light that the flash delivers. Where I was looking at no-flash exposures as long as 1.5 seconds, the camera with flash set to automatic and bounced was quite happy to use 1/30 second, which is apparently the standard synch "shutter" speed. And, of course, there is no lens shadow like you get with on-camera flash at wide lens settings.

Simple bounce like this is not beautiful or sophisticated lighting, but with a white ceiling available it is certainly far superior to direct flash, so I'm glad to put this on my list of shooting options.

I'm going to find one of those small polished stainless steel mirrors sold for camping and cut it to make a one-piece, unbreakable version to throw in my bag.

If anyone tries this, please add your pix and comments to the thread. Comments, suggestions, welcome.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Very nice and creative!
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    OK, here is the final model in mirror stainless steel. (Note the camera is focused on the little bounce mirrors, so the objects reflected in them are out of focus.)