1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Building your own shutter release cable for e-p1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by squeegee, May 7, 2010.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    So after trying to buy a cheap shutter release cable and finding out they screwed up, I decided to build my own. (That and the one I bought was only 1 metre long and I needed one longer.)

Based originally on the information found at Solder the Wires.

I took a camera to tv out cable and I cut open the plastic case around the camera end of the plug. When you do that you will be able to pull apart the plug from the cable. You will end up with just the plug (missing a few pins that were used for tv out).

What you need to know is which pins are important.

The important pins are pointed to in green. Based on the instructables link above, it would be considered pin 3/4/11.

Connecting pin 3+11 will do half press or focus.
    Connecting pin 3+4+11 will do full press or shutter.

If you want to ignore pre-focusing, you can solder 4+11 together and make a switch that just connects pin 3.

(After further investigation, it appears the pin 3 & pin 9 appear to be interchangeable, maybe it's just a ground?)

The cheap ebay knockoff I bought joined the wrong pins... it joined pin 3+4 and the switch bridged 11 so as a result, it fails when either focus can not be obtained or when continuous shooting mode is enabled.

What I did after pulling the plug off was I pulled all the remaining pins out of the plug. I put the pins back in to 3/4/11 just to test that I have the right pins.

I used a phone cable as my shutter release cable because it is thin and has 4 wires, I technically only need 3 wires though, that's why in the picture one wire is sticking out dangling.

I soldered the wires to the pins then lumped hot melt glue all over to keep the wires in place and make a plug end out of it.

On the other side, I have 2 press buttons. One is 3+11 and the other is 4+11. I can press 3+11 to just focus, and I can press both to focus and shoot.

It worked, the above is a 2 metre long phone cable that operates my shutter (better than the crappy ebay knock off).

I ran out of hot melt glue so the switch isn't a solid block yet, but everything works fine. All I need to do is fine a little plastic box for the switch and it'll look all good.

Oh and the bonus is my buttons is a little 1cm x 2cm block, unlike the ones you buy which are about the size of a tv remote....

2. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    great mod - i have bookmarked it for later - thanks for sharing