1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Building a m43 kit...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mattia, May 3, 2012.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,

I've been a Canon shooter since the 300D came out, and my main 'rig' has been a Canon 5D mark II since it came out, with a pretty full bag of glassware. I love the quality it gives me, and I'm not getting rid of the kit for most of my traveling (when I'm shooting nature/landscape I'm willing to pay the weight penalty of traveling with a 5D, 24-105, 100-400 and one or two small manual focus primes). However I increasingly find myself leaving the camera at home for less 'exciting' or unique destinations, or just for everyday shooting. It's too big, too heavy. On top of that, I was recently burgled and my LX3 'backup' cam that went everywhere with me. Still waiting on the insurance payout.

I recently sold my second 5DII (bought as backup for my last big vacation to Antarctica) for a couple hundred less than I paid, and picked up a red GF2 with 14/2.5 panny lens as a kit (at 300 euros it seemed like a no-brainer). I'm planning on getting the E-M5 with the liberated funds once it becomes a little easier to get a hold of and building a moderate lightweight kit. If all goes as planned, I'll be taking the lightweight kit on the backpacking/camping vacation to Italy and Morocco later this year. Priorities for me are compact size when it comes to glassware.

Thoughts on lineup:
    - 14/2.5 (have it)
    - 20/1.7 (I like fast 50's on full frame)
    - Oly 45/1.8 (fast, cheap, portrait length)

What I'm debating is the 'zoom' option. I love shooting my primes, but when traveling I do sometimes prefer having the option of shooting with zooms, particularly good light where speed is essentially irrelevant. Right now, I'm drawn to the Panny 14-42X zoom, maybe the Oly collapsible kit zoom. The OM-D's 12-50 looks decent on paper, but makes for a non-pocketable combo.

I'll probably also get some adapters to try out the Zeiss (Planar 50/1.4 and Distagon 35/2.8) and Leica R (28/2.8, 50/2.0, 70-210/4.5), maybe Pentax (50/1.7 and 50/2.0) for interests' sake, but my primary goal is lightweight and compact and maximum quality within that scope, for a reasonable budget.

Any comments or thoughts on the lineup? I'm not a huge telephoto shooter, so 90mm for equivalent should be plenty for the majority of my shooting, although a 'cheap' telephoto for vacationing purposes may be a fun add-on eventually.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd recommend either the 14-42X or the 14-45. The 14-42X gives the best pocketability. The 14-45 gives the best IQ of the kit lenses. The collapsible Olympus zoom isn't much smaller, so I wouldn't bother.

I think adapters make sense for lenses you already have, as long as the focal lengths are interesting (i.e. the lenses will be used). I wouldn't buy additional legacy lenses though, unless there was simply no native equivalent.

I'd also consider a telephoto zoom if you have any interest in the 80-300mm range. The 45-200 is a reasonably compact, reasonably sharp lens, and it covers a lot of ground.

Another question is whether you want the EVF or not. The LVF1 not a great EVF, but it's a heck of a lot better than nothing, and secondhand they're pretty cheap as these things go.

DH

3. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't see a big need for an EVF for the GF2 - I plan to treat that as more of a 'take it out to the bar' sort of camera, or for other situations where I'm mostly going to be taking snapshots rather than 'real' photographs.

I absolutely love my Zeiss stuff on the 5DII, and I shoot a fair amount of portraiture, so I figure at least giving the glass I have a shot will be worth it. I'm used to stop-down metering and manual focus with the stuff.

4. TDP

TDP Guest

I have a 5DII and a mix of Canon and Zeiss glass as well and I agree, shoot it through Zeiss glass and it makes getting killer results so easy....

Once you try your CZ glass through an adaptor I would love to see results.

This is my travel kit from 2 years ago, I've been trying to thin it out:

5453087961_11e30ec13c.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Gear by Photos by TDP, on Flickr

The goal is this and the E-M5

6846039422_24945e6be5.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Travel Companions by Photos by TDP, on Flickr

I bought the E-M5 when the sales person said "RAW" "weatherproof with the 12-50 lens", "Internal 5 axis IS". That was it for me, I was sold.

Next week I leave for Phuket, I will take some shots of my carry on kit once I figure it all out.

5. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm still slightly torn on whether or not to get the 12-50 kit lens...weather sealing is a big draw for those occasional moments I need/want it, but it is long, defeats any potential for pocketability and the reviews seem to tend towards 'it's OK'. On the other hand, a mere 200 euro upcharge for a 12-50 with weather sealing seems absurdly reasonable. Although pretty much all the m43 glassware falls into the 'affordable' camp compared to Canon L :) 

6. TDP

TDP Guest

I think Voigtländer's offerings are appealing, well until CZ releases a 43 mount. The only reason I grabbed the 12-50 kit is because of the seals. A fast 35 equiv is more to my suiting.

I haven't seen any Voigtländer's here unfortunately.

7. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Completely true, EVF is needed only in very bright days. Further more LVF-1 has low resolution so it is even worse when used in combination with wide angle lenses. I like my GF2 very much with attached 14 mm or Samy7.5 fish-eye, it is very compact yet capable travel option. I can always put EVF on, but it is usable much more for framing than for focusing :thumbup:

8. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    ...so I was traveling through Schiphol yesterday, and happened to snoop around the Duty Free area. Given most prices there for camera gear are terrible I was not expecting much, so color me surprised when I saw the E-M5 kit, with 12-50 zoom, for 1169 euros (list here is 1300). I could have gotten it in the US, maybe, but getting it through customs might have been tricky and I prefer local warrantee. Initial impressions are very positive, although I'm still exploring the best presets/setup for my shooting style and getting used to finding my way around the plethora of menus. I'll likely get the 45/1.8 soonish and the 20/1.7 eventually (the 45 is quite a bit cheaper, 225 euros).

Haven't had much of a chance to play with it (the GF2 is coming out and about with me for now with the 14mm prime...Vegas by night partying is not where I want to drag a 1000+ dollar gear kit...)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.