Building a lens collection?

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, money is always an object for 90% of us.
And I’d say life is to short to waste it on camera equipment that you don’t need. That just makes you look like a tool.
Congrats on the M10iii. A fine piece of kit. Will go very nice with ya 12mm. Great choices, looking forward to the car show pics.... :)

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I didn’t take long before I got used to the size. No need for the grip, spare batteries, yes indeed.

I'm returning the M10-II with a defective EVF sensor and going to get the M5-II with the 14-150 lens. I've got a 12f2 coming from KEH from their 20% off sale. In for a penny, in for a pound, even if I'm not British. So I'm debating what other lenses would complement these two and make a nice collection. My suspect list in no particular order includes:

9-18 zoom for things like the car show etc. when it's going to be a lot of close shots in tight spaces
60 macro for when you want to play really close up with a big image
17f1.8 when you want an all around lens that's also fairly fast
14-42R for lightweight all around and because I've got a high quality Hoya UV and lens hood for it
75-300 because sometimes you want to really reach out

So if you had the two lenses mentioned and PRO lenses are out of the budget and also beyond my shooting level, what lenses would you want next in what order?
The 9-18mm is a great lens. Very compact. The 60 macro is a good option if you plan to do macro photography.
I'd suggest the PL 15mm f1.8 instead of the 17mm. I'd skip the 14-42mm. Get the P 12-32mm for $100 used. Compact and very sharp. Plus, I find 14mm (28mm equiv) not wide enough and need 12mm (24mm equiv). I'd skip the 70-300 and get the P 100-300.

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
To throw a wrench into the works… how wedded are you to automatic focus?

I get a kick out of using old film camera lenses via adapters. That can be an inexpensive way to "try out" a focal length before spending big bucks on a modern native autofocus lens.
This is a great point - if 150mm isn't long enough you can find plenty of 200mm f/4 lenses for cheap, add adapter and test. My Pentax-M is an excellent performer and I paid under $30 for it.

Another option is the big and burly Zuiko 70-300 for 4Thirds, I find that even with a bargain 43-m43 adapter it works great and is ½ stop faster at 300mm. I did say it was bulky :) but it is CDAF compliant unlike many 4Thirds lenses, works fine on my GX1 and GX7. Curious though: my 43 lenses do not work on the YI M1!

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
you can find plenty of 200mm f/4 lenses for cheap
Yea, the well-regarded Olympus OM Zuiko 200mm ƒ/4 can be had for less than the cost of the OM —> µ4/3rds adapter, if you shop carefully!

My favourite for long-range work is the incredible Olympus OM Zuiko 500mm ƒ/8 Reflex. Forget what you've heard about mirror lenses — this is one of the best in the world, sharp and contrasty, and can be had for under $300, if you shop carefully.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(The vignetting appears to be an artifact of the focal reducer I was using, a Kipon Baveyes, which doesn't appear with other focal reducers nor with a simple adapter.)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom