Bugger!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Apr 30, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Just when things were going smoothly, along comes Murphy and spoils things.

A couple of days ago, the aperture ring on my Leica 135mm started to play up and being the mechanically skilled guru that I am, I loosened the screws on the ring to find out what was going on and that was that, no more working aperture. So I made some enquiries and found that one of the camera stores that I've bought gear from before can do Leica lens repairs. That'll be about $160 thank you very much. I also found out from the repairer that Leica do some sneaky things in their lens design and even the experts can have issues working out how things are put together.

The other thing that happened today was when I grabbed my camera bag in the morning, the Pen 2 fell out and landed on our timber floor, not the carpet of course, and in doing so broke the lens hood attached to the Minolta M-Rokkor 40mm. The lens hood was of the vented style, as that's all I could find earlier on, but fortunately nothing else was damaged. Maybe the breaking of the hood saved the lens and filter. That'll be about $15 to replace, but this time with a non-vented type.

My only worry is that things always seem to come in threes, so I'm desperately trying to think whether there's something that preceded all of this and I can relax somewhat. I don't think my broken arm counts. :mad:

Cheers

Ray

2. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Unlucky.. Hope you used up your bad luck:eek:

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Bad luck with the Leica but good luck, really, with your Pen 2, right? Uh oh...maybe that is not the way you want to look at it because then...there could be more to come if you're convinced about that "comes in threes".

Ray, what is the prognosis on your arm and the healing, etc.?

4. Stringer

Stringer New to Mu-43

Apr 17, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    Yes bad things always come in threes. A few years ago knocked over my Canon on a tripod and damaged my 24-70 f2.8. Before the month was out all three things happened and the lens/camera were the least of my worries, but everything worked out:smile:.

5. BBW

6. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Fingers crossed for you Ray.

7. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Well the camera and lens looks to be fine, so lucky there. I can't find even a mark on the body, so it's a lot tougher a little camera than I gave it credit. But the EVF wasn't attached at the time, so doubly lucky, as I reckon that could have been damaged (more reason for an in-built finder).

The arm was broken four weeks ago (3" split down the length of the larger bone from the socket) and I just got it out of the cast and I've been trying to get used to it for the last few days, but keep doing all the wrong things. That's what caused the camera to fall in the first place, so there's a good chance I'll end up breaking something else along the way to recovery. Looks like at least five weeks before it reaches some semblance of normality.

I haven't been at work for a month, as I haven't been able to drive properly nor handle any of the heavier gear whatsoever. I tried using the Pen at a football match last week, but it just didn't come together for me as I wanted. Not that I've been overly worried, I've quite enjoyed the break I've had. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

8. BBW

Ray,:eek: that sounds as though it was a bad and painful break! Very glad to hear you are recovering well.:thumbup:

9. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It's going OK. I've been looking at this break as a bit of a trial for my planned early retirement. It's been a bit boring along the way, as I haven't been able to get about very much, but it's sure told me that not having to go to work because you have to, against because you want to, is a great feeling. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  10. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Sorry to hear about the arm Ray hope it mends soon, you were lucky with the Pen fall :smile:
    $160 repair for that Leica :eek: Alot happens when you rotate that aperture ring .. remember repairing my 135mm Rokkor .. I took it apart it was gritty needed lube and it was fine then.

Take care

John