1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bug: Sequential shooting with image stabilisation, not memorised by Myset?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by hazwing, Jul 25, 2015.

1. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I am using an EM1 with the lastest firmware.

I just noticed that the "sequential shooting with image stabilisation" menu option is not memorised by Myset. Can anyone else confirm this issue?

I would consider it a bug/oversite by olympus, because:
    -I prefer to have "sequential shooting with image stabilisaton" on, in general shooting
    -However, I want a myset for fast shutter sports/action shooting with CAF, H sequential shooting, and the "sequential shooting with image stabilisation" off.

At the moment I have to dig into menus to change this menu option, instead of having it remember in Mysets.

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    The manual states that IS can be recorded in MySets. But if it does not work, you don't have to dig through the menus - IS options are the lower left hand choice in the super control panel.

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    What I am referring to is a different setting... it's deeper in the menus.

In the menu's there is a setting for sequential shooting & IS. If you have it 'off' when you do sequential shooting, the first shot will be stabilised (if you have IS on), but the other shots are not stabilised and instead it prioritise faster shooting. If you have it "on", all sequential shots are stabilised, but sequential shooting may be slower.

4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You need to be more specific. I know of no such setting on the E-M1. In Sequential Low or High, the fps could be affected by the image stabilization (if it is on) as well as lens and focus. If you have image stabilization Off, it will not even stabilize the first shot.

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    There's an option to disable IS if using sequential even if IS is enabled in the quick menu, which is the setting they're talking about.

6. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I had not noticed the difference between the SCP menu and the Custom Menu before.

In Custom Menu C with the options L fps, H fps, and Image Stabilization. This Image Stabilization On and Off only affects sequential shooting. Which the off is my default setting. However this setting is not recorded in a MySet (by Olympus design), which is probably why I have it set to Off.

I also don't use a MySet to establish sequential shooting - I use the button on the top left of the camera.

So it is not a bug, but by design - for whatever reason they chose to do so.

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    So you realise with it "off" any additional photos in your sequence (besides the first shot), is not stabilised? By default I generally would prefer it to be on. E.g. in lower light with slower shutter speeds, I often fire off a few shots in hope that one might be more steady than the others. If the affore mentioned setting was "off" only the first photo would have the benefits of IS.

However if I am shooting fast action, I would prefer that setting to be "off".

Sure you can you can use the top left button to change sequential shooting. However a myset allows me to create a set of parameters (in addition to sequential shooting) for fast shooting with action. I'm trying out a Myset, with CAF on, H sequential shooting, shutter priority of at least 1/250, face detection off, centre point focus.

Can you suggest a reason olympus chose to design it this way. To me it feels like an oversight. "Bug" may be the wrong term.

8. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Apart from the Myset issue, this is a particularly confusingly named option.

The setting itself has the word "off" in its name so it is rather like a question phrased as a negative, which always risks confusion. If you choose the "on" option, does this mean you are agreeing to "Sequential shooting plus IS off", i.e. to NOT using IS after the first shot? That is how I interpret it based on the text that pops up when you hit the info button. I think from your previous post you interpret it the other way around, and you may be right.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Iirc, the names of some settings are less confusing in E-M1 firmware 3.x

Barry

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    What are you shooting with? I think what you said was right when I was using the EM5. However with the EM1 (latest firmware), it's the other way around.

11. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    Ah, I was referring to the EM10. Glad to hear they got rid of the "double negative" at some point.

I agree it is hard to see any logic for this not being saved as part of Mysets.

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I do realize it is off. And from what little I checked this morning it also seemed that not even the first image was stabilized. I typically only shoot low or high FPS for action.

For lower light levels and slower shutter speeds I was taught long ago, and practice often, techniques for shooting at slow shutter speeds. But I definitely understand where you are coming from.

I tried the MySets when I was shooting 4/3s and just could never get it to really benefit me often forgetting what settings I had on which MySet. So until we can name them I'm not inclined to use them.

Some other shooting preferences I use that you don't - I have back button focus set up, so I hold the button for continuous focus and let up when I want focus locked. Keeps me from having to change from S-AF to C-AF and back.

More often than not I use a single focus point, face and eye priority seldom seems to select the same point I want focused on - so I don't use them. Although I've been experimenting with them more because so many people to get great results with them.

And I'm either shooting in aperture of shutter priority depending on what I'm shooting.

So the MySets do not offer the same benefits as the way you use your camera.

However, I have sent a suggestion to Olympus USA to change the way MySet, Image Stabilization, and sequence shooting interact - what you stated makes sense.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1