budget manual flash for EM-1?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by wilco23, Nov 25, 2014.

1. wilco23

wilco23 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2014
    I have Nikon SB-80DX that I use with Nikon. EM-1 flash is not strong enough for fill flash and I need budget flash unit that I can use it as fill flash. If there is any radio wireless trigger to the off camera flash it would be great. If there is radio trigger transmitter that can install on OM-D and the receiver that can trigger SB-80DX would be great. If someone can give me what should I buy would be of great help for me.

Thanks
    Wilco

2. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You have an SB-80DX. It has a built-in optical slave that will fire the flash with any flash burst. Hold the center of the 4-way button for five seconds to access the menu. You might even be able to use the Auto mode to get automated light output without TTL. All you need is a flash on the OM-D, such as the FL-LM2, set to Manual and out of RC master mode. You don't want any pre-flashes setting the flash off early.

Manual radio triggers should also work, such as the Yongnuo RF-603IIs. Don't get the RF-603 (MkI) units, though--they have a problem switching into transmitter mode on an MFT hotshoe. The Mk IIs have a switch that lets the on-camera unit be explicitly set to transmitter mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Are you sure the 80dx isn't powerful enough for fill? Are you using really small apertures?

If the SB-80DX isn't powerful enough for fill for you, you might want to look into Mono-lights.

It sounds like you need an awful lot of power for fill...

4. samgoldphotos

samgoldphotos New to Mu-43

Nov 19, 2014
    Orlando, FL
    Samuel Dorado
    • Like Like x 2
  5. wilco23

wilco23 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 9, 2014
    Thanks Sam and inkista. FL-LM2 is very troublesome to mount and unmount on flash hot shoe and it can easily lost those plastic covers. To be honest, I do not like E-M1 flash design idea, it is awkward to install and remove. I will order Yongnuo RF-603IIs to use with SB-80DX.