Budget m43 system?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by timothysoong, Dec 18, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I have a cousin who's only 15 years old. And he has been into photography since 12 years old, but with his P&S Sony Cybershot Camera. And he's been playing with my mates DSLR and is familiar with the advanced system. And lately, I promised if he'd get good grades, I'd get him a m43/DSLR system.

Well, as a starter, Im not willing to spend that much for him. And I was thinking of getting the cheapest m43, as DSLR would cost more and as I'm more of a m43 guy. And I found a used G1 body that cost $150. And thought G1 would be the cheapest among the m43 system.

What do you recommend? Considering the fact that he's a starter and cheapest possible one.

Does Olympus have something cheaper than the G1?

Thanks

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL1 would be more modern, and comes insanely cheap.

I don't know exact prices on bodies in that range, though.

An E-P1 can be bought for cheaper, but it wouldn't give you any advantages over the G1. The E-P2 is also cheap, but again not much advantage over the G1.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    No, don't do the G1. I feel like no video in this system is a real buzzkill. The E-PL1/P2 or G2 would be great choices.

4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    your sig says you have a GF2, give him that and buy a GX1 for yourself? =)

But I echo the EPL1/G2 minimum. Favoring the G2 a bit for the EVF and LCD, but you can't really go wrong either way.

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd suggest the G2, mainly because the EVF allows you to develop a more stable way of holding the body. For this reason I'd never suggest a viewfinder-less body as a first 'serious' camera... And the G2 is ridiculously cheap :smile:

Then I'd get a second-hand 20/f1.7 and a legacy 50mm (one of the 50/f1.7's) - hook them with primes early and they'll thank you for it later :wink:

6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    If you're looking for a budget m4/3 system without video then G1+14mm f2.5 or the G1+14-42 (or 14-45 if you can extend the budget a bit). If you're looking for video, then E-PL1 or G2 make more sense. If I were to gift a camera to someone who wants to learn how to photograph, I'd choose a prime lens. The only reason is that it will build a discipline of viewing photographically. Again, it's my personal view/experience, many may not agree with me.

7. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    i LOVE my G1. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. I don't think you'll find anything cheaper unless you can find a G10 and even then it'll probably be a horse a piece. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you pick.

• Like Like x 2
  8. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I vote for G1 or G2. Having an EVF will change how he thinks. Looking through EVF always makes me feel like in different world.

• Like Like x 2
  9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Is video is a necessity for your brother? If not then a G1 is a great camera with a really terrific EVF, great handling and is a real bargain. If he NEEDS video then I'd suggest looking at a G2 (same camera with video and tiny bit better handling). The mini DSLR body style is comfortable, well balanced, works great with legacy lenses and I have used a G2 until just recently and thought it was great (same applies for G1). If you want to go with a PEN style camera then I'd say the Olympus E-PL1 is probably the cheapest. It has a smaller body and a bit better IQ but an EVF sets you back another $200 and IMHO it has a much more P&S like UI and handling.

But to answer your question...I'm not sure you'd find an Olympus m43 body as cheap as the G1 right now.

10. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I have a G1 and the fact that it doesnt have video is hardly an issue. A photo camera is developed to take pictures, A video camera is made to capture video. If your looking at any camera and the deal breaker for you is the fact that it doesnt take video, then maybe your not looking for a photo camera after all.

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    That might be the dumbest sentiment I've ever seen on these forums. Talk about nonsensical.

12. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Umm, you may not agree with what he says, but calling it nonsensical/dumb is something I personally do not agree with. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I think as a forum, we should refrain from making personal remarks.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    The G1 is indeed a fantastic camera. No it doesn't have video, but if you are helping someone out to get into photography, the G1 is an absolute bargain and great value. He can always upgrade to a video body for a same bargain price in a year if he wants. I would be very very thankful if someone would get me a gift like that...
    My vote goes to the G1: great value and an EVF.

Heck, if I'd buy myself into m43 system now, I'd still get the G1 with the 14-45. It's that great value.

• Like Like x 2
  14. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Also, its spelled "statement" :rofl:

15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Statement and sentiment are not the same word.

16. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Do a search here on the FS forum; IIRC, someone was selling a (red?) G1 with a 14-45 lens in the high 200s.

Helluva good place to start.

17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    The G1 is a terrific camera. You see a lot of folks making wonderful images with them, Of course the glass you use will be a large contributor to that. That said, I suspect that a younger user may want video (I know my son would and he's only 8) so the lack of video on the G1 may be something to consider.

As to the comment about a camera being designed to take pictures and a video camera for video...it would seem to me that it's a sentiment shared by Lecia considering the M8.2 and M9 do not shoot video (and I can't see any technical barrier stopping them form doing so). You might not agree (for instance I do not agree with it) with it but there is no need to call it stupid.

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Get a G1, or a G2 and 14-42 (Panasonic) kit lens. Should be possible for $200-$300.

I wouldn't both with Olympus if budget is a consideration. The Pens are nice enough but $200 for a decent electronic viewfinder is a non-starter, and somebody learning photography should have the benefits of a real VF.

DH

19. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    It may be hard to find one now at any price, but don't rule out a G10 if you find a good price on one. This is an oversimplification, but it's basically a G2 without the the articulating display and with a lower-res EVF. Or, a G1 plus video, but without the the articulating display and with a lower-res EVF.

It's solidly built, fits nicely in the hand, has hard controls for major functions, and its image quality matches the G1/G2/GF1.

This review compares it to the G2 and GF1: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review