Budget Lens for EPL-2?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by klrman, Apr 11, 2018.

1. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I got the dreaded "Please check the status if a lens" message on my stock 14-42 lens. Is there a decent budget lens that will fit right on this camera without an adapter? Wide angle lens is fine if there is a bargain price for one.

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    In budget lenses you might look into the Panasonic 12-32 or the Panasonic 14/2.5 prime. And of course there is always just picking up another of the several versions of the 14-42mm all of which are usually pretty cheap. I would think all those should be well under $200 US (you didn't mention where in the world you live).

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I live in Canada but was hoping for something around maybe $100 or so as I am not sure I really want to spend more other than buying a new camera.

4. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ok so I am confused having never experiences this error before. Is it a lens error (which is what I thought when from your first post) or is it a camera error? If it is a lens error, why is buying another camera the solution? Just so you can get another kit lens with it?????????? :confused-53:

5. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Lens error famous on the olympus. Just thought if getting a cheaper small camera might be the way to go as I feel I paid too much for this camera to have these problems so early on.

6. In your opening post you are asked about a lens to replace the existing one, now you are talking about a camera. No wonder @PakkyT@PakkyT is confused; so am I. It might help to be clear as to what you want, lens or camera or both and how much you wish to spend.

Also if the camera/lens is relatively new have you considered contacting the retailer about a possible replacement? There are other threads on this issue here where lenses have been replaced.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Sorry about that, just lens. Camera is several years old but I only used it a few times and was disappointed the lens failed. Possibly around $100 for a lens if that is even possible?

8. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I suggest posting a Want to Buy ad in the buy and sell section of the forum. I sold my copy of the Olympus 14-42IIR for around $65USD, so I think that you should be able to buy one under $100CAD.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Ok, I will give that a try and see how it goes, thanks for the advice.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I’m not familiar with this famous Olympus lens error. Are you sure you uncollapsed the lens, or that it’s properly mounted on the camera?

11. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Lens errors are usually the result of worn flex cables. Odd if the lens has been sparingly used. Anyway, I highly recommend the sigmas as budget prime options. The 19 and 30 2.8 are really good, but the 60 is stellar.

12. I am selling an Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ [in Australia] and I will be lucky if it sells for $80. I would suspect similar prices in Canada so maybe eBay is an option.

13. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks. Is the flex cable fixable and where is it located?

14. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    It is a very common error on the EPL-2 and I've tried just about everything to try and fix it without any success.

15. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Some are replaceable, but probably not worth it. Just buy a sigma 60mm. Best lens that you can buy for the money on the m43 system.

16. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Does 60mm mean I will get a wide angle of view?

17. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    Not as wide as your 14-42. 14 is the wide end on that. But the Sigmas as supposed to be very good lenses (I don't have one -- yet)

I still have an Olympus 14-42 (Panasonic has one also) that has this error. I can still use it up to 29mm, but I replaced it with another, 'cause I like the lens. The error has nothing to do with EPL-2 as far as I know, as it is an internal ribbon cable in the lens as stated above.

18. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    So that's how it works, thanks! I take mostly scenic pics, so 60mm wouldn't really work for me then.

19. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    I just edited my post. For wide landscape I'd wonder if that 14-42 will still function at 14mm. Even wider, add a wide adapter to it (many posts on the Olympus version built for the lens).

20. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.