Budget Flash?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mazune, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Mazune

Mazune New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2013
    I'm fairly new to this photography thing, I got an Olympus E-PL1 a couple of months ago, was wondering if there are any cheap flashes/lights compatible with it.

2. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    If you don't mind the size of it, I've been real happy with the Yongnuo YN-560 II which you can usually pick up for around $80. It's not compatible insofar as using any "auto" settings, but if you're cool with manual or intend to use remote triggers, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you want TTL flash you can get a generic chinese flash such as the Vivitar Tumac...
    They start at around 100$ there is also the Nissim 466 at around 135.

4. Mazune

Mazune New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2013
    any flash/light would be okay since i just need a little extra light for some macro lens i bought, since i have to use an adapter the pictures come out slightly dark,unless im under direct sunlight

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    For TTL flash, also check the Cactus AF50. For manual, something like the Yongnuo 560II is hard to beat (albeit bulkier and heavier when used on the Pen).

Have you considered using a LED light array? There are some quite cheap, chinese made ones which also offer a dimmer. You can use them on camera (e.g. for video) or set them on a stand. Be advised you have to perhaps color-correct them (use a white balance card, for example) because all of them are a bit off in their temperature.

6. eno789

eno789 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2010
    Bay Area, California
    Brian
    Look at Cameta for refurbished FL-36 ($129) or FL-36R ($149).

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
  8. Mazune

Mazune New to Mu-43

Feb 5, 2013
    okay, thanks a lot for the info