Budget compact

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by lrlebron, Nov 6, 2015.

1. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I'm looking for a budget compact. Here's what I'm thinking
    1. Less than $300
    2. Can be slipped into shirt/or pants pocket
    3. Decent image quality. Enough for an 8 x 10 print and social media
    4. Wifi would be nice
    5. Viewfinder would be nice

I have tried to find some good reviews but most sites seem to ignore the low budget compacts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    The question is, do you want an enthusiast compact with a larger sensor, or a consumer compact with a small sensor? You might be able to find an original Sony RX100 for close to your price.

As for consumer ones. I have had good luck with the Panasonic ZS model range. The higher end one has a small EVF. They aren't outstanding cameras, but are good for what they are.

3. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    Thanks. I'll take a look at the Panasonic offerings.

4. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I recently purchased my wife the Canon Powershot 110. I've blown up photos to 18x24 with no problem. Lens is fast on the low end but drops as you zoom but it is very sharp with nice color and the video is excellent. Also has WiFi, oh and has nice touch screen but no viewfinder. However I used this on a recent trip to Texas and in the bright sun the screen was more than adequate. Actually I'm looking for one for myself now as something to carry in my commuter bag. The 120 which is the new version is about $320. The 110 only set me back $220 and KEH has some very nice used ones for less.

5. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    It seems that Canon has more that one Powershot model with the number 110. Is it the ELPH 110 or the S 110?

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    S series is the one you want. Although the RX100 is only marginally larger and really quite a step up in image quality.

7. DenverDutchman

DenverDutchman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Colorado, Denver area
    You cannot go wrong with the Canon Powershot line of cameras in my opinion. If you want ensentially the same camera in a more "enthusiast" package go for the Canon "G" line. I'm still using my Powershot SD880 from 2008 regularly and it produces lovely pictures. Look for Powershot cameras from 2012-14 on Amazon and I'm sure you can get a smoking deal.

Review of my camera: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/compacts/sd880.htm

Good luck!

8. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use the S110 for doing site work...very small camera.

9. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    +1 for the Canon s110. I bought a cheap used one for my wife to use. It was a great little camera--one that I enjoyed using when I just wanted a small camera for my pocket--until she lost it while traveling. :(

10. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Panasonic LF1, has EVF. Now available well discounted from its original price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
  12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    RX100 mk1 or your cell phone might be my first pics actually. But I have also seen Nikon CoolPix As for about $300-$400.

Without the shirt/jacket pocket requirement I'd look at the Olympus E-PL6, you can get then new with a kit lens for $300.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  14. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I recently got a Panasonic LF1 with expectations you just mentioned as. And I'm very satisfied for that decision.
    LF1 has EVF, versatile zoom ranged and fast optics, Wi-Fi connectivity and digital level, while gives quiet good image quality for what it is. Furthermore, considering it's being a truly compact camera, it's yet quiet customisable.
    When you slip your camera in your trouser or shirts pocket, every millimetres in depth would matters. BTW, LF1 is considerably thinner than RX100, which is slimmest among RX100 series.
    Otherwise you can also consider Canon S120, Nikon P330), Fujifilm XQ1, which are in same-class with LF1 in terms of sensor size and physical dimensions, although none of them has EVF.

15. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    Take your smartphone....

Or spend a bit more for a Lumix G5 or GM1

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I picked up a LX5 for my wife about a year½ ago when they were discontinued. Very cheap an goes to 24eq wide which is a must have for us. The LX7 now. The RX100 only goes to 24eq in the expensive version.

17. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    I have an EM10 and an EPM2 so I do not see a real advantage of having a G5 or GM1

18. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The EPM-2 is a great deal right now. Somewhere between $100 and $150.

19. JoFT

JoFT Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Johannes
    How should I know?

There is alway a reason for the GM´s - They are so small... and capable... But I guess it´s a religious topic: Oly vs Pana ;-)

20. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Quick search on that company reveals problems. be wary of doing business with them. There are lots of camera online stores that are fronts for scams. If the price is lower than typically found on amazon and major resellers, it is usually a red flag. Unfortunately for most of these small stores the margin is fairly small so most have just about the same prices.

Here's one hit
    https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.americancameracompany.com