1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Budget 24" editing monitor $80

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by tkbslc, Jun 12, 2016.

  1. tkbslc

    tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Hard to believe you can get a brand name 24" IPS monitor for $80 (after rebate)

    LG Electronics 24MP48HQ-P

    Rebate seems to say you can do up to 2 so dual monitor setup for $160?
     
  2. snaimpally

    snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

    572
    Dec 31, 2012
    At this price, the monitor does not include a VESA mount on the back so you are stuck with the stand that comes with the monitor. You can't use, for example, a dual monitor arm.
     
  3. tkbslc

    tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Yeah it's a budget monitor. But honestly less than 1% of people are going to use something other than stock stand, regardless
     
  4. JonVdG

    JonVdG Mu-43 Regular

    25
    Feb 2, 2016
    Colorado, USA
    Jon
    Even though it's only full HD, that's still a pretty incredible price for an IPS display from a decent manufacturer. I'm guessing it's not great for panel consistency and calibration, but who's going to complain for $80. Thanks for posting.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Evan614

    Evan614 Mu-43 Regular

    109
    May 6, 2014
    BuckeyeState
    FYI: Input is HDMI (2.0) or D-Sub (VGA - which is analog), no DVI.
     
  6. RDM

    RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

    If I didn't use a note book computer or tablet and still had a desktop component computer system like in the 90s , I would get one.
     
  7. JensM

    JensM Mu-43 Regular

    188
    Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    No such dice on that on the local marked, but could this one be regarded as a substitute: Asus 24" LED VS247HR 1920x1080, 2ms, 50m:1, VGA/DVI/HDM? Not knowing what to look for and somewhat skint after getting the camera-system off the ground. :)
     
  8. snaimpally

    snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

    572
    Dec 31, 2012
    DVI to HDMI converter is $3 at Monoprice. A cable with DVI on one end and HDMI on the other is around $5.
     
  9. snaimpally

    snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

    572
    Dec 31, 2012
    If only 1% swapped out the stock stand, there would not be a plethora of aftermarket stands offered. Depending on how high a desk is, the monitor usually ends up too low or too high and so people buy a monitor stand so they can adjust the height to avoid straining their necks to see the monitor. I have a dual 24" monitor setup at work with monitor arms that clamp to the desk, freeing up space on my desk. Such a setup is only possible when the monitors have a VESA mount (and the vast majority have one).

    At home, I have a 27" monitor and use a 3M monitor stand (https://www.amazon.com/3M-Easy-Adju...d=1465822614&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+monitor+stand) because the height is adjustable.

    It is a heck of a deal no doubt - a name brand monitor at this price is an excellent value. However, people should be aware of this limitation as some may be better served spending a little more to get a monitor with a VESA mount.
     
  10. PacNWMike

    PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Too short and squatty. I prefer 1200 ht min. (16:10) for photo editing. Actually 4:3 is best but that aspect ratio went away at the consumer level. :(
     
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. tkbslc

    tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    I am not familiar with that monitor. The most important thing is that you go with a brand name monitor that has an IPS based panel in the size and resolution that suits your needs and budget. That gets you 95% of they way to a good photo editing and viewing experience. The other 5% is for those that demand exact color space matching and the like (which becomes a money and time waster for the average hobbyist, IMO)

    I prefer that too, but nobody makes them anymore. It's all 16:9 with a few 21:9 options.

    I'd honestly be thrilled if I could still get 4:3 monitors. You need a much larger 16:9 monitor for the same height. I guess the options now are moving toward giant 2560x1440 or 4K displays if you want high vertical resolution and size. 24" 1920x1440 monitor would be just about perfect. Visual TV Size Comparison : 24 inch 4x3 display vs 27 inch 16x9 display

    But again, these were just links to cheap monitors that shouldn't suck nearly as much as the other 99% of cheap monitors.
     
  12. PacNWMike

    PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

    Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Yeah, when I went from 21" 4:3 to 24" 16:10 I only gained some bars on the sides. Both were 1200 vert. 1920 vs. 1600 hor. Now you have to go really wide to gain any ht. I'm thinking about getting another 21" 4:3 (big as they go) as a second monitor. A cheaper and more versatile option IMHO.