1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

budding guitarist? . . there's a new game out.

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by wattseee, Nov 8, 2011.

1. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    Just wondering if anyone else has tried out the new Rocksmith game which came out a couple of weeks ago? (playstation, xbox etc).

It's kind of like guitar hero (which I tried once and didn't like at all), but instead of playing a toy plastic guitar with buttons you plug in a real guitar and attempt to play along with a song. It detects whether you're hitting the right notes and adjusts the difficultly on the fly.

this is one of the better youtube vids that explains how it all works

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u_6CY4ntJQ]Rocksmith Video Preview - YouTube[/ame]

I got it a few days ago and I'm quite impressed. I'm not sure how long the novelty will last, but at the moment it's giving me another excuse to fire up the guitar and rock out in the lounge room.

I've hacked away at guitar for a few years at can play a little, so i think it helps makes this game fun from the start. I'm not sure how long an absolute beginner would last before they gave up in frustration. I guess the number of used games selling on ebay in a few weeks/months will be a good gauge of that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Had a few people tell me about this and I kind of shrugged it off. Thought it was a gimmick. Looks like you can use your own guitar. That changes everything.

• Like Like x 1
  3. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I know what I'm going to be asking for for Christmas! ...oh, and a GH2, too!

4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    Kind of like a computer equivalent of the tried and true tactic of blagging a gig with people much better than you but (probably) with less hurtful feedback when you get out of your depth :biggrin:

5. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Dammit Wattsee, I just ordered this!

During the last ten years or so, winter down-time only means video games or fret-board exercises. This kills two birds with one stone, equating to more gym time. You may have saved my life.

PS- Was debating between the PS3 and Xbox version. Then remember how much I loathe the current NEX lens philosophy, and ordered Xbox. Spiteful? :cool:

6. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    yep. using a real guitar definitely made it more appealing to me. I've got a couple of guitars already but I actually bought the bundle which includes a basic epiphone guitar for about an extra $120. I got sucked in by the bargain!. Unfortunately the guitar didn't survive the shipping to Australia and arrived with a crack in the neck. amazon were petty good about it though and refunded the the price of the guitar.

I was pretty skeptical about the game in general but have had some good fun so far. I nearly tossed it in straight away because of lag in the audio which made it awful to play. fixed the lag by using analogue connections instead of HDMI and turning amp to 'direct' audio mode. lag is barely noticeable now.

the best bit is that it get the tick of approval from my better half. She's had a go and like playing it, but more importantly she's happy for me to play it, which is more than I can say for most other games!

7. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I've been put-off by having to plug my electrics into a stack and fiddling around with the tone everyday, so I've went acoustic for the past few years.

I just read about the latency issues with running through modern equipment. Seems fixable. I hope this software does well this holiday...which means more downloadable content and development. It's the right direction for instrument and videogame integration.

The trusty Les Paul finally gets a love current through her old internals. Appreciate the awareness service man! :thumbup:

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm super interested in trying it...I've got a lot of guitar equipment and I rebuild a lot of guitars. I am, however a lot better at building them than playing them :(

9. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    Wow, I'm really intrigued by this!

10. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Wouldn't know. MW3 came out today.....

11. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have had it for about 2 weeks on my PS3 and find it really buggy even with PS3 updates. I have to restart the game sometimes because it seems to get stuck on the first screen (press start) - the controls aren't intuitive and just seems to be missing something overall.

It's an interesting idea but i think i prefer sitting in front of YouTube with my SG or LP.

12. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I'd love to buy this game to practice playing guitar, but I really don't want to get a console (it would be a massive time-sucker as I would inevitably start playing lots more games). I can only hope that an Iphone/Ipod app is not that far away...

13. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    It's coming out on PC too if that helps. December i think.

14. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I tried inverting the display yesterday which I believe makes the interface/controls more intuitive, especially if you're used to ready TAB. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to but I've found it's getting easier with every play.

I've only had one crash so far, where the whole console locked up. It was just after I inverted the display so maybe that made it crap itself.

15. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I admit to not using our PS3 or the Bravia much (just way too busy) - so I'm lost on inverting the display. Is this in game?

16. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    So I got it in today and gave it a go for an hour. Here's a first impression:

At first, hated it because of the lag, so i took out the RCA connection for the XBox (thank gawd I saved the box and extra wires) and plugged it straight to the stereo receiver with the HDMI cable remaining linked up to the LCD for video. Money! Latency is definitely not the software's problem, just a quirk in modern digital technology.

This game is fun as hell! I may not learn a whole lot as far as music goes, but I can confidently anticipate an added level of timing and dexterity after putting in more time. I like to add my own improvisation between phrases and pauses so it's definitely not too slow if you have some experience.

It's like having a karaoke machine or kinect dance game. It's only as good as the effort you put into it, but in this case you learn a thing or two about timing, coordination and fretboard dexterity if you're a beginner.

If you already have an Xbox/PS3 AND an electric guitar...this is a no brainer. The hdmi to guitar cable is pretty robust so that alone makes up for a chunk of the price of entry.

Can't wait for more dlc and play time. Definitely great practice software disguised as a game.

17. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    yep..it's an option in the game. basically just flips the fretboard picture upside down so low E is on the bottom (like how tab is written).

18. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    the lag is terrible with HDMI. They should slap a big (NO-HDMI) label on the box because I can't see anyone finding it acceptable. having said that, I tested HDMI audio but switched my AVR to 'pure audio' so there was no processing. It took away 90% of the lag, but analogue connection took away 99%.

It's still a bit of a pain though because I've run out of suitable audio inputs on my AVR, so my CD player is taking a break for a while.

19. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I bought it a few days ago. The game mechanics works great with a few bugs here and there (some notes are missing(not shown) in some songs).

My biggest complaint is the menu system, I find it awful. For example, I was practicing a chord, E. I wanted to practice another one, but I could not just go back up a menu, I had to start all from the beginning start menu, which is annoying because menu navigation is slow. That problem plagues the whole menu system (no "back up a menu" option).

Also, having to systematically check guitar tuning before each exercise is a pain. It should prompt/check for tuning only when it detects a problem or, let's say, once an hour or two of play?

I think the game is fun though and encourages practicing with its challenges, learn techniques and guitarcade modes.

20. ZephyrZ33

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Yeah the menu system is ridiculous and is my only complaint as well. They really need a downloadable update to fix the issue. I don't even bother with some modes (like amp modeling) because I have to deal with the oh so "intuitive" interface.

Just finished checking out a song in the library? Well let us send you all the way back to your user screen so you can sift through the same library again. We'll also make each screen look the same so you're never quite sure what you're clicking on unless you stop to read it, but you don't have to stop...we'll stop and load it for you. :confused:

Such a good game, but it'd be a shame if their next one is plagued by the same clunky UI.

In other news, my friend played it and she learned all sorts of chords from just playing guitarcade mode. Something I never had the patience and time to teach her.