1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buddha

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by dabbler, Apr 18, 2012.

1. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Buddha_1.

Buddha_2.

Buddha_3.

Ayutthaya, Thailand, with a GF1 + 20mm and Oly 45mm

• Like Like x 8
  2. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Very nice. Thanks for uploading them. I was in Asia in November and early December last year -- Thailand and Laos. Ayutthaya was still under water, but Sukhothai was dry and we spent the Loy Krathong festival there.

Here's a picture of theheart-stoppingly beautiful Phra Achana Buddha from Wat Si Chum. The enclosure built around the statue did not allow me to back up enough to get all the hand with 14mm on the kit zoom -- the only wide angle glass I had. Still, I like the shot.

PB080537_8x10.

• Like Like x 5
  3. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Thanks for the photo! I wish I had gone to Sukothai; it was the plan but it was the last few days of the year and transport tickets were so difficult to get hold of that we decided to skip it in favour of Chiang Mai in order to be there for New Year's Eve. Next time! :)

The floods in Ayutthaya had subsided when we were there, although there were many photos of the devastation pinned up around the town. I saw one photo a lot like this:

Ayutthaya_2.

... only the floodwater was rising up the Buddha's face. It didn't seem to bother him though!:)

A few more from Ayutthaya:

Ayutthaya_1.

Ayutthaya_3.

Ayutthaya_4.

• Like Like x 5
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Great shots, thanks for sharing them.

5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Some very nice shots. Especially love the B&W -- nice tonal rendering. We did 9 days in Chang Mai -- too many with the hustle and bustle of the place for this old geezer. But then we spent 3 days in sleepy little Mae Hong Son before heading to Laos. What did you think of Chang Mai. We were there for the last two days of Loy Krathong, having spent the beginning in Sukhothai. Going through the photos is like reliving the trip again. Ayutthaya looks amazing; wish we'd been able to go, but I wasn't up for boating -- except for one excusion up the Mekong!

Thanks again for starting the thread. Brings back fond memories of a trip I loved.

6. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    "... only the floodwater was rising up the Buddha's face. It didn't seem to bother him though!:): "

Ah! Detachment.

7. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    • Like Like x 3
  8. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Daibutsu in Kamakura, Japan. (not actually taken with mu4/3 camera though)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/debit72/3489323625/" title="IMG_2206 by debit72, on Flickr"> 3489323625_eae0545a84_z. "480" height="640" alt="IMG_2206"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    A couple of weeks ago I was in Japan (I should post a few pictures from that trip soon)...

These were taken at Asakusa.

124EP374378-L.

128EPM10494-L.

131EP374354-L.

4. Slightly different viewpoint and pp:
    132EP374356-L.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Love the various styles of Buddha. Here's one from Mae Hong Son in a Burmese style. it's a replica of one at Wat Suthat in Bangkok

desktop_PB213812_7x7-2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Just wondering how much adjustment was done to the sky in the first post photos, having spent a lot of time in Thailand I do not recall ever seeing the sky that blue! :biggrin:

12. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    Lawrence, I loved Chiang Mai. It has everything you'd want from a city but as you know it's crisscrossed with lanes that have a pretty rural character - I stayed almost next door to a banana plantation! - so it's a very intriguing place. Beautiful temples and fantastic food, too!

Sprinke, I have relatives that live in Kamakura and they told me that originally that Buddha statue was housed in a temple hall. A tsunami came and washed the hall away but left the Buddha sitting serenely unmoved... He's been out in the open ever since. My relatives took great joy from announcing the fact they live much closer to the sea than the Buddha!:eek::drama:

Moccaman, I did very little processing on the non-B&W shots. I can't seem to upload the Raw so here's a direct jpeg export of the Raw file to give an example:

Buddha_master.

Goodness knows Ayutthaya was due some blue skies!

14. dabbler

dabbler Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2011
    A few more from Ayutthaya

Buddhas_1.

Buddhas_2.

Buddhas_3.

Buddhas.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Redeveloping in LR some photos from my trip to Laos last year. The Pak Ou Caves have many wonderful old Buddhas, but this one seems special to me.

PB264541_copy.

16. Antara

Antara New to Mu-43

May 30, 2010
    love the earthiness and serenity----