1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bubble level hotshoe cover

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by angloasturian, Oct 28, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

Alternative to VF1

If, like me, you've lost the hotshoe cover for your E-P1, instead of buying a replacement (Olympus: 7 USD, generic considerably less) you might be interested in a post by Ian Tinsdale on E-P1net (Oct 14) called 'Alternative to VF1'

An alternative to the VF-1

As you can see it's a hotshoe - mounted bubble level. I've found several on the bay - all from China. This is the cheapest:

Camera Hot Shoe Hotshoe Bubble Spirit Level Cover Cap

Seems like a good idea.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Basically sold for the price of the stamp - I really wonder how they do it. Anyway, great idea and thanks for the tip ! Also saw for a fraction more you can have the same thing with two or three axes instead of one - it gets more bulky and visible then, but your camera is sure to draw even more attention with that glowing green thing on top...

• Like Like x 1
  3. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

I just thought I'd mention that the cover arrived a few days ago (about 2 weeks shipping time). It fits perfectly and I can confirm it works brilliantly on my E-P1 - I took lots of test shots from the promenade of the horizon (sea), resting the camera on the balustrade, elbows on balustrade, camera against lamp, hand - held etc - and they all came out fine. If anybody's interested the link is in my post 'Alternative to VF1' on Oct 28th.

4. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
  5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Thanks for pointing this item out. I have a Jobu Design Double Bubble Level, which has the advantage of being a two-axis level, but it is too bulky to leave on the camera. I just ordered one of these and will use the Jobu only when I need to level a vertical shot.

IMHO a level is essential for working with the ultrawide lenses like the Oly 9-18. Not for every shot, but definitely for many architectural indoor and outdoor situations.

6. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Does the E-PL1 lack the built in meter that the E-P1 has?

7. xyzzy

xyzzy Mu-43 Regular

Brianetta - the E-PL1 indeed does not have the orientation sensor the E-P1 and E-P2 have ...

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Missed this! Now that is a very nice, low key but worth while looking hot shoe bubble! I've never seen one so subtle before.:2thumbs: Seems like a very handy item.

P.S. I've merged the two threads because now we can all easily see the links and choices.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

That's a great little thing - I'll be getting one.

All the best,

Colin

10. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    This looks really simple and useful. I think I might have to cough up the *ahem* $3 and get one! It would be helpful to have it mounted there just in case.

11. gjtoth

gjtoth Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2010
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I have these for my other two cameras and, being made of rubber vs. plastic, they tend to stay where you put them and don't slide out as easily as the standard plastic model. Even though I don't need the bubble part, I'll probably spring for one just because of the rubber part. I got mine from http://www.meritline.com/

12. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    always been interested in one of these, didn't realize they were so cheap!