1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Brunei

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by timothysoong, Feb 14, 2012.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I'm a beginner, so I need C&C from you. These are pictures I took on my trip back to Brunei.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you think? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I know Brunei is an oil-rich country, but I didn't know they celebrate that fact so much that their playgrounds are mini-oil extractors. :biggrin:

Wait ... Now that I've looked closer, are they actual oil extractors?? On first glimpse I thought they were kids' playgrounds - the colors and the open area threw me off. They look like play areas. :smile:

3. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    lol. They are actual oil extractors. :rofl:

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Okay, you asked for CC, so here are my comments; you can take them with a grain of salt.

First pic: For this kind of striking geometric shot, I would personally have made sure I was dead center and everything was aligned perfectly. Also I would have waited until there were no people (if possible).

Second pic: this is just kind of blah to me ... it has no drama or interest. Maybe you could have tried a different angle, from lower down maybe, and make the machinery look more imposing? Or gone for a closeup shot. I dunno.

Third pic: this one had lots of potential. I would have framed it portrait and shown more sky. Also your horizon is tilted slightly.

Fourth pic: I kinda get what you were trying with the Dutch angle here but I'm not sure it's working for me. What is the focal point of the picture (not the literal focus, but the subject focus)? My eye mostly looks at the grass.

Fifth pic: I like this one the best.

Sixth pic: okay, but the horizon is slightly tilted.

Last pic: again, not sure what is the point of this shot.

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I agree I find the tilting distracting from the shots. And they are too tightly cropped with objects being cut off in all but the first shot.

I like the shapes of the first shot the best, but as the above poster mentions, it would probably be less distracting without the person walking through it.

You might find the shots more interesting with a stronger focus or action..perhaps people would help put some of the objects in context.