Brrr, it's cold outside ...

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
EM273866_edited-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
EM273867_edited-2_pe_edited-2.jpg
EM273793_edited-2.jpg
EM273776_edited-2.jpg
EM273856_edited-2.jpg
Woke up to single digit temps, 6*F, and headed outside for some frozen bubble photography.
May have been too cold - the bubbles were freezing faster than I could focus my adapted Tamron 90mm macro lens. The Oly E-M10 handled the cold quite well.

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Since that last frozen bubble shoot in 2017, I haven't been able to duplicate the results because my bubbles keep breaking on contact with the snow. Today, 12*F outside, sunny, mild wind ... perfect conditions. I think I'll have to try some other bubble formulas.
G021420_30_edited-2.jpg

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Back at it again ... Took advantage of this morning’s single digit temps 6* to do some frozen bubbles. Perfect conditions – no wind. Bubble were almost freezing too fast.
omd021021_626_edited-3.jpg
omd021021_559_edited-3.jpg
omd021021_758_edited-3.jpg
omd021021_471_edited-3.jpg

wonglp

Mu-43 Top Veteran
lovely, something i won't be able to see in tropical Singapore. thanks for the share!

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That is fascinating! Questions: Regular soap bubble fluid? What would you say is the optimal temperature range for this?
The most recent "bubble" formula worked very well :
* 35ml liquid dish soap (non-ultra type if you can find it. I could not and used ultra type.)
* 35ml glycerin ( corn syrup works just as well). Gives added thickness to soap bubble wall.
* 2 tbsp of sugar
* 200 ml warm water.
* mix all ingredients together and place in a cold spot (garage) a day before you will use it.

In my attempts 15 degrees F is the warmest temp that I found success. This year it was 6*F and the bubbles froze almost too quickly - literally a few seconds. I use a drinking straw to blow the bubble in the target area and hope it doesn't burst. Success rate for that is about 33%. Probably won't see those cold temps again this year, but it's a fun winter project.

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks to all for looking and the nice comments. Here in my neck of the woods, you can count on snow and cold weather and have to learn to embrace the winter season. But, I'm ready for some birds/bugs/flowers now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom