Broken IBIS + Shifted Sensor on my EP-1?

aw614

Mu-43 Regular
For the last few years my EP-1 has had a broken image stabilizer with the blinking IS icon, I didn't think anything of it and just used it as is. I decided to mount my Rokinon 7.5mm Fisheye lens and noticed this on the LCD with the picture taken, if you look on the right of the image, it seems like part of the lens isn't going covering the sensor and possibly shifted? I've put the lens on my GF1 and my GX85 and both do not exhibit this issue. Other lenses like the Panasonic 14mm/20mm, etc. don't seem to exhibit this issue on the EP1 and work as intended minus the IS. My guess is if I try an ultra wide angle lens it may show up.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? Since my EP1 isn't worth much anymore it isn't a big issue, but have been tempted to take it apart to see if I can fix the IS issue (If I can find a disassembly guide).

Attachments

• P9211102.JPG
    P9211102.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 38

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
not usually anything to do with the IBIS.
???

"If the image stabilizer icon blinks in red on the monitor, it indicates a failure of the image stabilizer function. If you take a picture as is, the composition may be off."
Source page 63.

My IR converted E-P2 also has this blinking all the time but haven't had any issues because of it (most IR shooting is daylight, wider angle, so IBIS not really needed).

aw614

Mu-43 Regular
???

"If the image stabilizer icon blinks in red on the monitor, it indicates a failure of the image stabilizer function. If you take a picture as is, the composition may be off."
Source page 63.

My IR converted E-P2 also has this blinking all the time but haven't had any issues because of it (most IR shooting is daylight, wider angle, so IBIS not really needed).
That's what I was thinking too as I shot with the blinking IS for 3+ years and for the most part pictures came out fine, it just seems on the Rokinon fisheye, the right side of the image seems off as seen in the attached picture.

aw614

Mu-43 Regular
And did it still take photos without an issue? Because in my instance, it seems like the sensor is stuck in one direction and is not centered, but I am wondering if others experienced something similar.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
And did it still take photos without an issue? Because in my instance, it seems like the sensor is stuck in one direction and is not centered, but I am wondering if others experienced something similar.
No. It would not take photos.

My previous advice still stands. It will be FAR cheaper to buy an 'as new' used body than to repair your present camera, regardless of what's wrong with it.

aw614

Mu-43 Regular
I already have other bodies to use. The tinkerer in me is more interested in trying to repair the issue myself than buy another body. The IS issue appeared on my body about 4 years ago and I continued to shoot without issue until I stopped using it as my main camera. I just did not notice the issue I posted with the Rokinon 7.5mm until more recently when I decided to put it on.

I probably should have been clearer about this that I do not care about buying a new body. I did find this video after the initial post that exhibit the issue the body has on boot with the IS

But this seems to be the issue my E-P1 has with the IS and starting up. Guess my new question is does anyone have a guide or service manual to take apart an E-P1 and if the IS is the same between the two other bodies, I believe I've found the EPL1 and EPM2, but I'll keep looking for an E-P1 guide as the differences in design have stopped me from proceeding...

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
I have a E-P1 with the same problem, and will try to solve it when I have some spare time. Could be a deeper problem, but looks like some earlier Pen models could lose their IBIS start reference point if the camera is not correctly powered off (dead battery, sack the battery without turning the camera off, etc). Hence, you have to position the IBIS in its "initial" position manually and turn on the camera.

The problem is described in an old mu43 thread (with an E-PL1, but the earlier 3-axis ibis of the older PENs are similar): https://www.mu-43.com/threads/e-pl1-ibis-problem-fixed-finally.59751

I will try first to use some tool to VERY gently move the sensor assembly (and taking great care to not scratch the sensor) without opening the camera. If it looks like too risky, then will open it. Found a very good guide in an old site - the original post is already gone, but got it with the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016021...-p1-disassembly-and-wide-spectrum-conversion/

The pictures will not open at the page (will look like a black rectangle), but clicking in each one will open it.

aw614

Mu-43 Regular
I have a E-P1 with the same problem, and will try to solve it when I have some spare time. Could be a deeper problem, but looks like some earlier Pen models could lose their IBIS start reference point if the camera is not correctly powered off (dead battery, sack the battery without turning the camera off, etc). Hence, you have to position the IBIS in its "initial" position manually and turn on the camera.

The problem is described in an old mu43 thread (with an E-PL1, but the earlier 3-axis ibis of the older PENs are similar): https://www.mu-43.com/threads/e-pl1-ibis-problem-fixed-finally.59751

I will try first to use some tool to VERY gently move the sensor assembly (and taking great care to not scratch the sensor) without opening the camera. If it looks like too risky, then will open it. Found a very good guide in an old site - the original post is already gone, but got it with the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/2016021...-p1-disassembly-and-wide-spectrum-conversion/

The pictures will not open at the page (will look like a black rectangle), but clicking in each one will open it.
Curious to see if you find something to gently move the sensor assembly, I tried it once with a clean glove by pushing it in one direction while it was off and it didn't seem to work. When looking at my sensor, it did seem like it was stuck leaning in one direction.

That link about the wide spectrum conversion and disassembly for an E-P1 I saw on DPReview and I was looking for a web archive of that guide, but was having no luck. Going to download the images to see how daunting it is.

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
Curious to see if you find something to gently move the sensor assembly, I tried it once with a clean glove by pushing it in one direction while it was off and it didn't seem to work. When looking at my sensor, it did seem like it was stuck leaning in one direction.
Yeah, never tried it - the E-PL1 guy moved it by the gears, very possible that it could be the only way to move it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom