Broken hotshoe mount on FL600 flash (Olympus repair sucks)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by utahlasvegas, Nov 15, 2013.

1. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Hey, I accidently broke the plastic on the bottom of an FL600 flash, and it won't stay on a hotshoe anymore. I sent it to Olympus, and they want $102.00 to replace that little piece of plastic.... seriously! I told them hell no, and I'll duct tape it to a lightstand if that's my only alternative.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement piece? I have a tiny screwdriver, and I think it would be super easy to fix the flash if I could just find a third party replacement piece.

2. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    If you can't find an original replacement part, call the local community college and see if they have any 3D printers. I recently had a buddy at the local community college make me a custom ball joint for the RAM mount in my Jeep. Alternatively, you may find local groups through or craigslist that do this for a hobby and would probably love to do it for a case of beer.
  3. utahlasvegas

utahlasvegas Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Thanks, JamieW. I teach photo at my local community college, so that might work. I don't think there are any 3D printers though.
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I don't see one for that flash, but for the FL-36 the part from a third party is $50, so it's not that cheap, considering labour on top of it.
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    For what it's worth, Olympus basically has a flat-rate repair policy on their camera gear. That means that if you'd blown out the bulb in the flash, or destroyed the battery compartment, they'd have charged exactly the same. For relatively minor problems, it's very annoying, but for major repairs it can actually be fairly reasonable.