1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Broken Hill by night (extra wide photo)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Ross the fiddler, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is a view looking northward from the Broken Earth Restaurant that is located on the highest point of the Line of Lode remnant mullock (skimp) dumps which transverse the City of Broken Hill.

O9280986-cr-s.

Taken with my E-M5 & 12-50 lens & with no tripod, I held the lens hood hard up against the glass window (one slip would have ruined it) to get this shot. Exposure was 13 seconds at ISO 200, 12mm, f5.6, cropped (Picture Mode - Vivid & Auto White balance).

Here is another photo taken a little earlier with one of the long distance trains (maybe Sydney to Perth) in the station (taken at ISO 6400). We travelled here by the Explorer train that starts in Sydney & terminates in Broken Hill which only has three carriages.

O9280947-tl-s.
    (Exposure was 2 seconds at ISO 6400, 12mm, f5.6, Picture Mode - Vivid & Auto White balance).

Here's another closer view from the hill (at the Big Chair) taken earlier at dusk.

O9280925-tl-s.
    (Exposure was 1/20 second at ISO 6400, 50mm, f6.3, Picture Mode - Vivid & Auto White balance).

Thanks for looking.

:drinks:

• Like Like x 12
  2. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Ross: really nice photo on the first shot. Good illustration on the OM5 sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Thanks, never been there and my image of it was a smallish country town.
    its bigger than I thought. 1st shot is great.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ross the fiddler

Thanks for the nice comments. I've done another corrected WB version of it (with less crop). See what you think.

O9280986-adj-wb-cr-s.

5. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I prefer the first one with the extra width but the corrected white balance is better from a tonal POV although maybe just a bit too "corrected", the first one has a 'warmth' to it that the corrected one doesn't.

Paul

6. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I like both, BUt the first one gets my vote. (saw it first)
    The second one seems to make the black sky
    even blacker??

7. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I too prefer the first one over the second.

BUt I do understand the WB being more accurate in the second one.

I notice that with some of my shots too. Sometimes the
    inaccuracy seem to create more artistic photo.

8. Ross the fiddler

Thanks Paul, Monchan & David.

I agree that the first actually looks better even though the colour isn't true, plus it is a larger photo (with a tighter vertical crop) showing the detail a little more. I guess it is artistic licence then to produce a photo to what looks good & not necessarily as it is. Monchan, blacks can vary & a cooler black probably looks 'blacker' than a warm black & maybe that is what you see.

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Hmm, I like both shots for different reasons. The first is more interesting/artistic while I like the colors/accuracy of the WB corrected shot. Nice!

10. Ross the fiddler

Thanks RevBob. I did another adjusted version that is posibly better with a similar crop to the first one. Here it is.

O9280986-wbadj4-cr2-s.

Thanks to all for your feed back & I won't bore you with anymore after this.

11. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Takis
    Nicely captured!Both your versions are great!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I like the 3rd version, seems to combine the best of both.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ross the fiddler

Thanks for the nice comments.