Broken E-PL2 - what to do?!

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by ts123, May 12, 2014.

1. ts123

ts123 New to Mu-43

May 12, 2014
    Hi all,

Newbie to the forums, hoping someone with more knowledge than me can help!

I've had an E-PL2 for several years with both the kit lens and a lumix 14mm pancake. Generally I've liked it and it's stood up to some abuse (I use it mainly for climbing/mountaineering and travel photography). Unfortuantely the screen has broken and a fix seems expensive. So I'm looking at replacing the body only, keeping the lenses. Any ideas on what to get, based on:

- Don't want a touch screen
    - Couldn't care less about video
    - My budget is fairly low...

What I like about the E-PL2:
    -Ergonomics (especially with gloves on)
    -Battery life is good
    -Taken some fantastic photos generally but...

What I don't like:
    - Shooting into the sun seems to produce red dots around the sun rather than a white flare
    - Minor, but you have to reselect centre focus everytime you turn the camera on, drives me crazy!
    - Ditto with exposure settings in auto (use it in auto a lot for when I'm more busy climbing than taking photos, if that makes sense, and need to snap something half decent very quickly)
    - Auto focusing in low light is terrible, and general low light performance doesn't seem that good.

Any recommendations are much appreciated :) Thanks in advance.
  2. SVENS1

SVENS1 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    I would say probably the simplest solution is to find another used body on ebay, since you already have the lenses.
    Or step down and get a used E-PL1 body even cheaper.
  3. Bull Winkle

Bull Winkle Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2014
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    EPM2 or EPL5 would seem to be logical choices. Both have the current gen sensor that is on par with EM5/1/10 but can be had for a whole lot less money, and have similar controls to your EPL2. You can disable touchscreens as well (I have on my EM5 and 1).
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Another vote for E-PM2, prices are ridiculously low, the sensor is much better than the PL2. And that touch screen... you can turn it off, but you might learn to love it, the touch to shoot really is a fantastic feature.
  6. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    E-PM2- cheap and improves on the E-PL2 in many ways, especially autofocus and image quality. Turn off the touch screen and you're set.
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I had an e-pl2 for a few years too. Just picked up a refurb E-PL5 and have been pretty happy so far. I did get the larger grip with it.
  8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Same here
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Sorry about the broken E-PL2!

E-PM2 does seem like the best deal, at the moment. Used and refurbished pricing on the E-M5 is pretty good now(~ $600)... you would get a bit better controls, a viewfinder and weather-sealing.
  10. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Keep in mind, the weather sealing is ONLY with certain lenses (those that are weather sealed themselves).
  11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think EPM2 is the current great deal, Although I have also seen dirt cheap GFs lately.
  12. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

As a former PL2 owner, I share your fondness for the camera. In many ways it was the most usable & ergonomic of the Pen line; a truly fabulous camera. I think you have 3 good alternatives -

1. Buy another PL2. In spite of its defects (which you summarized nicely) its pluses are many - and to them you must add affordability. One of the few downsides is that the interior engine is on the 'slow' side compared to newer/more modern Pens and other micro 4/3 digital cameras. But there are so many good things about the PL2 that you could probably buy yourself a pair of them for the price of the next recommendation on my list.

2. As many others have suggested, by an E-PL5. The PL5 is much faster - processes images more quickly - and has an incredible sensor which will not only aid you in better low light photography (both processing, speed and overall IQ) but will give you in some cases noticeably better digital files. The downside is - it's relatively smaller and less well-desiged, in terms of human ergonomics, than the PL2. Its screen is smaller too and, in many ways, worse than the PL2's (which possibly has/had the best digital Pen screen of all the Pens except for the larger & much costlier P5). But in spite of these downsides, its a fine fine camera - and it has the additional plus of actually being tinier and thus ore portable or semi-pocketable than the PL2 ever was.

3. The PL5's slimmer sibling the PM2. Apart from one or two dials & buttons, and no fold-out rear screen, the PM2 is or seems to be totally identical to the PL5. And right now several sellers have been discounting combinations of PM2 bodies plus one or two kit lenses for fire sale prices. It may be the current bargain of all the more 'modern' mu4/3 bodies - if not one of the best photographic equipment bargains in recent history. So though it's #3 on the list - it may be the logical and best choice for you. Plus it's even more pocketable than the PL5.

In fact it's such a great camera that I'm considering buying a PM2 body just for fun.

Hope this helps. You actually have not one but three great choices - and it's always hard to choose under those circumstances - but ask yourself what's the most important to you. If it's cost, the PL2 deserves serious consideration. If it's IQ & portability, the PM2 wins hands down. And if you want the PM2's qualities with more bells & whistles, the PL5 (confession: I'm also a former PL5 owner) is a great little camera.

Good luck!
  13. zap

zap Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2012
  14. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

One more thought: the other great and often unappreciated digital camera which seriously resembles the PL2 in many respects - and is better than the PL2 in others - is the Lumix GX1. Almost the only downside to the GX1 is that Panasonic didn't build in in-camera stabilization into the GX1 body - which can cost you some sharpness in certain low-light situations. But in just about every other respect, it's the most PL2-like camera that Panasonic/Lumix ever made (I think) - and additionally is a relative bargain, price-wise, these days.

Good luck.
  15. Cymen

Cymen Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    If you're in the USA, it's worth looking what has to offer too. They have a bunch of used E-PL2 bodies ranging from $126 to $144 (based on condition). If you just want to go back to what you had...
  16. ts123

ts123 New to Mu-43

May 12, 2014
    Thanks for all the suggestions, apologies for not writing back since the first post, been busy moving house.

Looks like the PM2 could be the way to go, though I'm really struggling to find it body only so will probably have to buy with a lens and sell one lens on. (Am in the UK not the states so I expect everything's more expensive and less available...)

Couple of questions about it for anyone who's got one - does the PM2 deal better with shooting straight into the sun/lens flare than the PL2? Those red dots are one thing I really hated...

And (I can't find this in any specs for some reason) is it the same battery as the PL2?

Thanks everyone, really helpful!

On the big down side, just been snapping a couple of pics and my PL2 has now gone from the screen not working to not working at all. Sad day... it turns on but then just won't do anything, I wonder if the autofocus has gone now too as it just won't seem to focus. Definitely time for a new one :(
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    E-PM2. Light years ahead of E-PL2 which was my first m43 cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  18. marygoround

marygoround Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    I came from the PL2 as well. I "upgraded" to PL5, i miss the ergonomics of the PL2 but IQ wise, PL5 is better. Faster too!