1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Broken E-P2 screen

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drsquidd, May 9, 2011.

1. drsquidd

drsquidd Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I cracked the screen on my E-P2 and I'm crying. Sadly it isn't covered by warranty. Anyone know where I might source one myself or should I just dig deep and get it done in repair....?

2. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    just order one...

I broke the bottom metal frame , battery door, and battery hook from my e-p1 (after it bounced across the road), all I did was look up the local parts supplyer in my area, emailed them the parts I wanted and they were sent in the mail, cost me about $60 I think. A little high for some plastic and metal parts that aren't even mechanical but cheap when you think of the price to get the camera working again.

3. drsquidd

drsquidd Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Any advise where to get one as I'm told Olympus Australia will only sell to authorized repairers....

4. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
  5. drsquidd

drsquidd Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Just saw now, thanks!

6. drsquidd

drsquidd Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    I emailed Nittram and they said for them to replace it'd be $250+ gst they didn't answer my question about buying just the screen to do myself. I might phone. Can't do much more than this from iPhone, I'm off work tomorrow will do some leg work.

7. gekopaca

gekopaca Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2010
    You might use it without screen, as a "real" camera. (You should use the EVF, of course).

8. drsquidd

drsquidd Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia

Yes, still works with the EVF, which I prefer. I just don't like my baby broken....
    For what it may cost to fix (professionally) plus a bit extra (unless I win that E-PL2 on the contest section) I can pick up another body.
    Hmmmm have to think this one out.:rolleyes:

9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    A real real-camera has only a rear screen.

It shows eveything upside down (in the northern hemisphere, of course). It also has a bellows and only speaks German :rofl:

10. gekopaca

gekopaca Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2010
    Yes, indeed… and generally it's wood-made. :smile:

11. muzee

muzee Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2011
    Hey ... I know how it feels. Try sending it to customer service for repairs - maybe you'd get lucky like me and it would be covered:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/thumbs-olympus-customer-service-12046/

(they quoted the cost on the invoice as $100.00 ... which wouldn't have been too bad if I did have to pay) .. good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  12. drsquidd

drsquidd Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, Olympus said no about warranty. :(
    I've sourced one from Nittram and it should arrive early next week. Cost me $114 shipped. I probably could have done better in price but it beats the $250 I was quoted for full replacement and not having my camera for a month. In the end I'm happy.

13. drsquidd

drsquidd Mu-43 Rookie

May 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    The screen came yesterday! I'm off work tomorrow and will install and document the procedure. Sadly there's not much out there so I'll do my best for the next person who has a similar problem.

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... and a cape

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That would be me. :) My LCD on my E-P1 was broken last weekend.

I have an E-PL2 now to cover it, but would like my E-P1 fixed eventually...