Broken E-P1 LCD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by penfan2010, Dec 31, 2010.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Hi all, apparently someone accidentally dropped my 2 month old e-P1 today (still don't know who did it :frown:) and the LCD is now broken. Have found a replacement screen online; in the UK/EU sites it is shown as a replacement for the Oly 7000, U1060, and E-P1; US sites show only for Oly 7000 and U1060. Does anyone know if this is in fact the right replacement screen, and has anyone tried replacing themselves? I have already asked the Oly US site for a repair quote, but since I've replaced screens on my P&S before, I figure I would give this a go as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Nasty, I lve in fear of something like that happening.
    Is it just the screen cover that is broken or has the screen stopped functioning? Is a user able to make such a repair?

3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Broken E-P1 scree

Nope, it is the screen-4/5ths cracked and black, only a little bit of the upper right corner is all that's functioning. There are a lot of posts on the web for replacing LCDs, but none for E-P1 in particular; I imagine it should be straightforward, but am hoping e-P1 specific instructions surface on the web.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Did you buy it with an AMEX? If so, they'll cover it.

I would seriously consider getting a PAP to cover your electronics. Unlike the rip off extended warranties from stores and companies, a PAP from your insurance company is great value. It's generally $1 per $100 worth of coverage a year. Thus you can cover a E-P1 for $4-$6 a year depending on how much you declare. Well worth it. They would have paid to replace or get it repaired. No deductible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    lenshoarder thanks for reminding me about AMEX protection. AMEX covered the cost of the whole camera, not just the repair!

6. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Another screen bites the dust... anyone know where I can find a replacement screen, or repair costs??? searched everywhere.. please help. -Dan.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good question! My E-P1 is still sitting with a busted LCD as well. But I have enough newer bodies now that I think I will schluff off both my E-P1 and E-3 to anybody who wants to take them cheap and repair it themselves. :)

Did you ever try that online replacement screen, penfan, and did it work? If so, please share your resource with us!

There have been enough people who have had this repaired through Olympus Service to give you an idea of the repair cost, Dan. I think it's in the range of $120-$140, but can't remember exactly. One forum member did talk them down to just over $100 though. I guess if you tell them the price is too high, they might be able to work with you. This is a flat fee repair rate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    Thanks Ned!! at that rate I might just be able to find a cheap body :(.. I'll call Oly and see what they say.

9. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I wonder if AMEX would extend the warranty on a repair. Olympus provides a 6-month warranty after the camera is back up and running, but if the credit-card doubles it to 12 months then $100 for a repair with a 1 year warranty wouldn't be too bad of a deal.