British Hawk-moths, some of our larger insects

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
East Charleton, near Kingsbridge, south Devon (UK)
Real Name
Barrie
These are some of the commoner Hawk-moths that have appeared in my moth trap over recent nights, maybe I can add some others as the season progresses.

1010012.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Elephant Hawk-moth (named for some characteristics of the caterpillar)

I always feel that these are the most photogenic of all the Hawk-moths,I don't think you can take a poor photograph of one of these guys.
I'm hoping to add it's less common cousin, the Small Elephant Hawk-moth soon, maybe tonight, the trap is set in a suitable location.

1010134.jpg

Privet Hawk-moth

With it's 5" overall wingspan this is one of our largest british insects.

1000910.jpg

6221247.jpg

Eyed Hawk-moth

The second photograph shows how this guy gets his name, when disturbed they flash those eyes on the hind wings , which it is claimed will put off birds as large as Jays.

1000933.jpg

1000939.jpg

Poplar Hawk-moth

This one shows some red flashes on it's hind wings when disturbed.

Watch this space and see if I'm lucky enough to catch a Small Elephant Hawk-moth tonight, whilst I catch several of the others most years I normally only take one or two of the Small Elephants.

I was going to post a shot of my trap in action, but that shot seems to be lost somewhere in my slightly chaotic computer filing system, oh well I'll keep looking and hoping.

Panasonic G1 with 105mm f/2.8 Sigma macro

Barrie

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
Great pictures.

Are you sure some of those moths are not from Texas?:biggrin:

Having never had the pleasure of visiting your state I have no idea of what occurs there, although hawk-moths are distributed world wide, indeed there are about 1050 species worldwide, most of them in the tropics. There are only 9 species resident in the UK with 8 others as immigrants of which some breed here but cannot survive the winter.

Barrie

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Amazing moth photos - never seen anything like those before. The colors on the Elephant Hawk-moth are beautiful, and I can see how the "eyes" of the Eyed Hawk-moth would be effective!

I've been meaning to ask you, Barrie, what kind of baby bird is it being held in your avatar picture? Nevermind, BB filled me in :doh:.

grebeman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Barrie
The thing about Texas is that everything is BIG, there - sky, land, steers, belt buckles,cowboy boots, tall tails - and even Jackelopes!

Woah, would I be man enough to tackle photographing the wildlife of Texas, not so sure about that, perhaps I'll stick to the quiet countryside of the UK., at least thing are in proportion, hopefully :smile:

Barrie

Latest threads

Top Bottom