1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Brisbane Qld M43 Photo walk

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by David A, Dec 2, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic (Luckypenguin) and I have been exchanging a few private messages about trying to arrange a local photo walk/get together but we seem to have been moving slow and the summer is heating up.

Are there any Brisbane or nearby members interested in trying to get together between now and Christmas? If so can you please reply and indicate:

1- a preferred Saturday or Sunday,

2- morning or afternoon

3- location: Brisbane city area or Southbank

I think in practical terms we're limited to this coming weekend 8/9 December or the weekend after. The weekend of 22/23 December is probably too close to Christmas and the weekend after that too close to New Year plus many may be away over that weekend. If we can't arrange something before Christmas then I think we may have to postpone the idea until February/March due to holidays and our usual summer heat and humidity, unless someone can come up with a scenic suggestion inside a walk-in cold room.

I'm setting a deadline of around 7.00 pm on Thursday 6 December for responses so that we've got some chance of putting together arrangements for something this weekend if there's interest in that. Sorry about the short notice but I've been a little disorganised of late which will be really obvious if I say that Nic and I first discussed this idea by private message back in August. If we can get something arranged I promise I can walk faster than I can organise things :frown:

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    If I wasn't on the other side of the World (where it has been freezing for the last few nights and only a little warmer by day, incidentally) I'd love to join you. I hope you get a good turn out and look forward to seeing the pictures. :smile:

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Would love to attend such a session, but not this side of Christmas.

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks guys.

RnR: I'd be happy to try to arrange something on the other side of Christmas but my experience with trying to arrange things for a different group is that you simply write January off because people are away.

5. tgrieger

tgrieger Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    Toowoomba, Queensland
    Terry
    I'll come down from Toowoomba to participate sometimes if it suits. However it is better the other side of Christmas for me.

6. Thanks for posting this, David. I can most likely make it either side of Christmas. The weather is looking a bit hot this summer, but I was thinking that if we want to get out of the sun for a little while there is the Art Gallery and GOMA nearby if we choose Southbank as a venue, and there is some shade around Southbank itself.

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    hello! Another brisbanite here. I'd like to join but it's pretty busy between now and xmas. A weekend in mid january would suit me better.

Also, I have not yet joined the m4/3rds community. Still in the process of selling my canon gear. I waiting to see if there are any boxing day deals for the OMD.

8. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Looking more like mid-January is a better option.

My only concern is the weather, especially after yesterday.

9. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I was going to say that this saturday suits me but It'd be cool if I could hitch a ride with Terry from Toowoomba. That'd save my old Bmw a little.:smile:

10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    My feeling is starting to be that unless we see several members posting within the next 36 hours that they can make this weekend or the next, we start discussing a mid-January date a little after Christmas. There seems to be a fair amount of support for around then.

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Everytime we get heat like yesterdays I start muttering about moving to Tassie...

+1 for the Southbank idea. Maybe an early morning lowheat session with breakfast in Jan?

12. tgrieger

tgrieger Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    Toowoomba, Queensland
    Terry
    Mid January is my preference. I can't make this weekend now.

13. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I could be a goer. Will keep an eye on this thread and see what date in January you come up with.

Cheers
    Maria

14. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi all,

Looks like we're pretty much in some sort of consensus about mid-January so I'll revive this thread again around the end of January and we can sort out a day and time then. Looks like we could get quite a few members participating which would be nice.

Thanks for all the responses.

David

• Like Like x 2
  15. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I may be able to get down to Brisbane very late in January, unfortunately I will be sailing the Pacific Ocean between here and Fiji until then. :smile:

16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    OK guys, Christmas is over and people were suggesting mid-January so let's have some nominations of a day and time. For mid-January the options are Sat 12th, Sun 13th, Sat 19th, and Sun 20th. The next choice is morning or afternoon. Based on the earlier comments it looks like we're all happy with Southbank.

So, over to you all for comments on date and time to see if we can come up with a consensus. The only time that would be a no go for me is the afternoon of Sat 19th but I can fit in with the other days.

I haven't included the weekend of the 26th/27th because of Australia Day but I guess we could consider that as well.

David

17. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Just come to Melbourne!

We'd welcome you to Melbourne. No need to go to Tassie. It's a great place to visit but Melbourne is a great place to live.

Hope I haven't opened a hornets nest.
    Cheers
    DUD

18. My preference would be for a Saturday but Sunday would be okay too if that suits others better. Days are long at the moment and if we wait 'til it is cooler in the afternoon it would be starting to get quite late so...morning, perhaps?

19. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I think saturdays would be better for me as well. I'm more of an afternoon person... I usually like to sleep in, on the weekends :)

20. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic & hazwing, and anyone else who is going to reply,

Just stating a preference for Saturday, or Sunday, won't get us up and running. We need to pick a particular day, and a particular time,

So, Saturday 12th or 19th, or a later date? Or a different day?

For what it isn't worth, I've got a long range weather forecast app on my iPad. For the 12th it predicts a high of 30 degrees and light showers, for the 19th it predicts a high of 29 degrees and scattered thunderstorms. Apart from the fact that the afternoon of the 19th is not a possibility for me, I have a preference for light showers over thunderstorms when it comes to testing my personal weather sealing. I'm not worried about the E-M5's. I also think that long range forecasts from an electronic source tend to be worth the paper they're delivered on but what's the point of having these apps if you don't use them every now and then?

David