Brighton Sail boats

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by andyw, Jan 30, 2010.

1. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
  2. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Hi Andy

What are you using for your black and white conversions, this is nice and punchy. My own personal preference would be to make a vignetting a little more subtle

• Like Like x 4
  3. andyw

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Hi & thanks for the kind words.

I use Lightroom 2.5. I can't afford PS but Lightroom does a great job for me, i love it.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Andy, really nice capture - what do you think of Dynamic B&W mode on the GF1? I've seen some beautiful tonality in that mode.

I love the Sigma DP1 for B&W work - must recharge the battery (yet again! damned battery drain fault)

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I've been looking at this photo and trying to put my reactions into words. I like the fall off on the edges but it does give this Brighton sail boat scene an other worldly tone which isn't a bad thing, I don't think. I quickly took a look at it on your flickr page to see if I might view it larger... I'd love to see more detail in the pebbled beach but can't tell if its there or not?

Glad to hear you like Lightroom on its own. I have to get around to trying the beta 3 trial... I've never used any sort of program.

• Like Like x 2
  6. andyw

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Thanks for the comments:

Quote: what do you think of Dynamic B&W mode on the GF1?

I love it! I don't use it enough really but i should. I only started using it recently when i saw images processed with Dynamic B&W and i thought they looked pretty much spot on. Trouble with me is that i keep forgetting to set up my camera when i shoot things!! D'oh!

Quote:I'd love to see more detail in the pebbled beach but can't tell if its there or not?

If you look at my flickr you will see an image of the Grand Hotel in full size The-Grand B&W_2816 x 2112 pix If you go to the largest size you will see great detail. The image was taken on a monopod.

Lightroom 3 looks to be very good but 2 is all i need. Gimp is free !

• Like Like x 2
  7. BBW

Tremendous detail on that one! Just an aside of a technical question here - why is it that on some photographs one is not able to see the properties, etc., of the camera used? I know it really doesn't matter but lately I've been much more interested to see what people used camera wise to take their photos.

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi BB,

are you using the Firefox web browser (my favourite by far, very fast and capable)... if so, there's an extension called Exif Viewer which allows you to right click on an image, and if the EXIF info is there it will be displayed in a browser window.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 2
  9. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    If you manipulate the image in photoshop and save with
    an adjusted filename you loose the exif. Also the G1 has
    no idea what I'm doing with my legacy lenses.... :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. BBW

Thanks Brian...I've never been a big Firefox user, but may have to mend my ways here. And hodad, thanks for that tip, too!

11. andyw

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Firefox is a good browser as it has handy programmes that you can 'attach' just like the Exif viewer. It is a little annoying when data is lost. The Exif for that Hotel shot is:

1/500th sec
    20mm
    f8.0
    ISO 100

• Like Like x 2