Bright pink dot in photos?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ted, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Well, this is disappointing! As some of you know, I picked up my first mirrorless system last week- an E-M5. I was just doing some ISO tests then to get an idea of how much noise to expect at different settings and I'm noticing a bright pink dot in every photo I take. It's small enough that I never noticed it until doing these tests, so maybe it's not even an issue, but it's certainly there. I've tried numerous focal lengths, apertures and ISO settings, even shooting with the lens cap on and it's there in all of them (though the shutter does need to be slow enough to let some light in, in this case). I figure I should take it back to where I bought it from? :frown:

2. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Actually, with the lens cap on it's more of a red dot. It looked pink against the white cone in the speaker I was photographing though. If I shoot in monochrome it is grey, obviously.

3. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Dot can be seen very close to the centre of the speaker cone, as well as enlarged. I also just tried zooming in on the EVF and seeing if it were there before hitting the shutter button, it isn't.
    [​IMG]

4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Perform a pixel mapping on the camera and see if that fixes it.

5. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    I have no idea what pixel mapping is, but it fixed it! Thank you very much, this forum is amazing!

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Pixel mapping simply reads the sensor for any pixels that are firing (or registering a value) as hot and creates a little database of pixels to ignore. Nearly every sensor out there has a few hot pixels. Some don't develop right away, others are taken care of when the factory runs the first mapping right after manufacture.

Enjoy the camera!

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Probably a good idea to rerun pixel mapping quarterly. Also wait until the camera is warmed up for a few minutes.

8. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Yep, it's a hot pixel. Pixel mapping locks out the bad pixels so they don't affect your pictures. It's a neat feature and many cameras offer it now. Also, Lightroom automagically corrects for them when you import your images. Other image editing programs probably do it, too.

All cameras have hot pixels, and will develop them over time. Pixel mapping is a great fix.

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Hot pixels is something TOTALLY DIFFERENT!

These were stuck pixels (always on no matter what).
    Dead pixels are pixels that are always off.

Pixel mapping fixes both of those things (lucky we can do it ourselves...some other brands need to go back to the factory).

Hot pixels only show up during long exposures, and there's noise reduction to fix that which does a dark frame subtraction.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Which is why Pixel Mapping should be done when the camera is cool or cooled down. Not when it is warm.