Bright Light in my Window

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The International Space Station was taking a short jaunt across the West to South/Western sky tonight —- and I was setup and fortunate to catch the whole 2-1/2 minute pass in my frame, from it coming into view at the right side of the frame (10 degrees altitude) until it grew dim and disappeared on the left side of the frame (22 degrees altitude). Although the pass was in total darkness at 11:00pm, the bright moon lit up the field in front of me for the picture - making it appear I took it at twilight.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I was checking about taking pics of the Milky Way, I found out about a new star observation this afternoon that would help identify it —- it’s called “The Summer Triangle” —- the 3 bright stars being Vega, Altair and Deneb.

I looked closely at an overhead pic I took of the Milky Way last week to see if I could recognize the stars. But the sky area is filled with stars making it impossible. I figured if I went out and looked with my eyes, it may be more easily defined —- and it was. I took a few shots and kept references for when I got home, to identify some of the brighter stars. I wasn’t able to capture the Milky Way at the same time, because of the bright moon.

I also noticed an in-line grouping of stars in front of the star Deneb. A quick check on the sky map determined that it is the Constellation Cygnus (the Latinized Greek word for swan and it also contains the Northern Cross). In fact there are 4 Constellations in this section of sky.

Olympus E-M10 mkIII w/11-22mm f2.8 lens (Live Composite mode), aimed basically straight up to the sky above —- processed in Photoshop, using my references to enhance the three triangle stars and other brighter stars, and draw the lines to help identify the Constellation.

E9A46B3F-1C32-483E-B0EA-4970C4C64D27.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

INTERESTING FACTOID: The Summer Triangle serves as a stellar calendar, marking the seasons. When the stars of the Summer Triangle light up the eastern twilight dusk in middle to late June, it’s a sure sign of the change of seasons, of spring giving way to summer. However, when the Summer Triangle is seen high in the south to overhead at dusk and early evening, the Summer Triangle’s change of position indicates that summer has ebbed into fall.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom