Brief conversation with Scott Kelby about E-M1 files vs FF today ...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bl80, Dec 7, 2013.

1. bl80

bl80 New to Mu-43

Nov 29, 2013
    For the last 4 years I have done Help-Portrait for a local recovery center. We make some great images for the women and their families and have always had the Kelby Media group there to edit/print the images on-site. Its an amazing day and I cannot recommend enough getting involved in this if you are not already.

We had four shooters this year. 3 using full frame Nikons (a d700, d3s and the new Df). I used my new E-M1.

I had a chance to go back to the editing room and saw that Scott Kelby was editing one of my images (Photo attached with the subject blurred due to the fact that this is an addiction recovery center and the images are not to be shared publicly).

I asked him point blank how the images held up compared the tons of FF images he's been working on all day. He told me he had no idea they were from a MFT system and that if I hadn't have told him he wouldn't have known. He was doing a ton of fine zoomed in retouching and saw no difference. Was a definite win for the MFT today. Also note that after 6 hours of shooting I had the least amount of back pain! :)

• Like Like x 13
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Oh no, FF vs m43 debate!

Anyway, looks like the photo he's editting is a studio shot? I guess the area's where the benefits of FF can pull ahead are higher ISO and a scene with a high DR.
  3. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    This sounds like a great program to be a part of. I wish I had known about it in advance.

My wife and I started doing portrait work in 2005, but in 2010 I took a break from it and pursued something else. We decided a couple of months ago to build a new studio. That should be completed this upcoming week. We're working out the details for a community program where we dedicate time each month to doing free photography work for people in our community as well as promoting local non-profits who are active in the community. I'm going to have to follow Help-Portrait and see if there's something I can do to help out, possibly hosting an event in this area next year if there isn't one already set up.

Thanks for sharing.
  4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Any link to the program you are discussing? I am not familiar with it, but from what you have put, sounds like a great way to volunteer.
  5. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    This confirms for me what I had thought previously of Scott Kelby. He puts his money (well, at least his time and effort) where his mouth is. He's one of the good guys.

Our small camera club, sponsored by my church, plans to take portraits at a local homeless shelter. We would display the portraits at our church to raise awareness and support funds for the shelter... obviously, after receiving releases from the participants. And, we would print the portraits and give them to those who agree to pose for us.
  6. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    This sounds like a great thing to do hydro. Let us know how it works out.

Just so you know though, you don't need a release from the participants for such an activity, though it doesn't really hurt anything to get one.

In a nutshell, you only need a model release in situations where A) the person in the photo can be identified by someone, and B) the image is used for advertising or trade purposes. In those situations, you may also need a property release, but neither of these situations apply to what you are doing.

Here's some more information:
  7. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    Thanks for the info, JamieW.
  8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Pretty much. If you're in good light and especially at low ISO m4/3 can certainly hang well with larger sensor cameras :smile:

When I've used my GH3 and mixed files in with my DSLRs for the church photo team I've actually had a couple people ask what they were shot with. Good glass in front of a modern m4/3 body is quite capable, and the extra DoF inherent to the smaller sensor can give an increased perception of sharpness too. Like always, it's about playing to any given camera's strengths!
  9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Who is Scott Kelby? I dont think we need anyone to tell us these things we already know . This topic has been discussed again and again and we all know the hard facts . If Scott Kelby says these files are not good then? Shall we suddenly dump our MFT gear? The real proof of exellence of this format is this forum with 18000 members and exellent shots which are available here in different threads . Thanks for sharing this conversation anyway .
    • Like Like x 1