1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Brief comparison of Lumix 14mm/Computar 12.5mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by thearne3, Aug 22, 2011.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I recently purchased a Lumix 14mm and thought I would do a little comparison at comparable low apertures: around f2.5. This is approximate in that the Computar lens has continuous manual f-stops. All shots using Center-Weighted metering at 1/40 sec.

FOV is as noted below. Computar is a fun lens with good center sharpness. Compared to the Lumix, I was surprised that the background is less OOF than the Computar, at same f-stop - even though the latter is a wider lens.

Any other thoughts??

Here is the Lumix shot:

View attachment 173681

Uncropped Computar. Note: Vignetting and strong blue fringing around bright edges.

View attachment 173682

4/3 Cropped Computar. Note: I estimate useable field of view equiv. to 15-16mm lens.

View attachment 173683

16/9 Cropped Computar. Note: comparable useable horizontal FOV to the Lumix 14mm.

View attachment 173684

• Like Like x 1
  2. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks Tom, nice comparison. I really like that little Computar lens, especially in 16:9 or 1:1 format. Of course, sharpness does fall off a bit more toward the corners, but for a fraction of the price of the 14/2.5 you get a lens that is usable (at least for my modest purposes). I am sometimes using it with a WCON-08 Nikon wide angle adapter, and that brings the cropped and usable FOV to just a touch under 14mm and is a bit faster than the other options. The other wide c-mount I really like is the Fujinon 12.5/1.4(?), nice colors and I have seen it modified to show less vignetting. Unfortunately, adding a wide angle converter increases the vignetting quite a bit.

Stefan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.