Bricked (?) 14-42mm EZ lens when updating firmware

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jamzyee, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jamzyee

jamzyee New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2017
    Hi All,

Ive possibly bricked my 14-42mm ez lens when updating the firmware, the cable disconnected during an update and it now wont retract and the camera (e-m10) doesnt recognise it has a lens attached, is there anything i can do? Also when i connect to the computer the olympus software doesnt detect a lens being on the camera

Thanks!

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

You'll have to send it in unfortunately...

3. jamzyee

jamzyee New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2017
    oh man, thanks...i bought the camera and lens 2nd hand and i dont know the age...i assume Olympus wont repair or replace FOC?

4. wjiang

Well you can enquire... but I'm guessing it won't work out to be that economical given the low price of that lens to start worth.

5. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I've never heard of anyone "bricking" a lens. The camera yes but the lens?? I would try that lens on another camera and see what happens. It might just be locked up.

6. Michael Sans

Michael Sans Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    If you remember I bricked my 40 to 150 mm pro f2.8 , under warranty happily, Olympus where very good air mailing it to Barcelona Spain from the UK . bearing mind its simple programming not anything which requires dismantling . Olympus have fixed price list but if its a pro lens an its estimated. They did it for free under warranty. the reason, I think, is the update hung to 1/2 and hour.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  7. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    I had a 14-42mm EZ which came from an auction website and "bricked" during an update, although I could not be sure that it was the update which was the reason. I had it not being recognized by the camera. About 12 months ago, and I was not sure if I had the latest version of the updater software. I was lucky and was able to return the lens.
    May be worth checking if you have the latest version of the updater, in case it is rescuable. Also is the camera up to date (using a different lens). I think I had different behaviour with the lens on my PL-5 and E-M5.

8. Michael Sans

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    I think it would be much safer to down load firmware updates to an SD card then then install it in the camera/lens.

Regardless of which upgrade, past or present once bricked,it has to go back to Olympus, in my view, unnecessarily. Perhaps a better way forward without loss of
    形無し
    Katanashi. they could make any lens where update failed usable by reverting it to the base firmware so one could have a second byte of the digital cherry

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael Sans

Oct 6, 2016
    Michael John Sansom
    Regardless of which upgrade, past or present once bricked,it has to go back to Olympus, in my view, unnecessarily. Perhaps a better way forward without loss of
    形無しKatanashi they could make any lens where update failed usable by reverting it to the base firmware so one could have a second byte of the digital cherry.

10. jamzyee

jamzyee New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2017
    Yes i have the most up to date software and the camera is fine with another lens on, ive spoke to Olympus and they say it must go back to them, £75 flat fee as i dont have original receipts (bought it 2nd hand). Its a silly and fairly expensive mistake to make, Oly surely need to look at changing hoe you update your camera and lens!!

11. jamzyee

jamzyee New to Mu-43

Jan 10, 2017
    Well after 21 days i have received my lens back, apart from being bricked the AF motor was broken, lens seems much quieter and smoother now so happy days...shame about the long turn around time!!

• Like Like x 2
  12. aruba3h

aruba3h Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2012
    melbourne fl
    Ken
    Bricked my panasonic 12-35 trying to update firmware!!!! Went ahead and bought a new 12-35. Thought that the bricked one would cost too much to repair-----but to my surprise sent to Panny and they charged me 65.00 to repair---surprise surprise. Kept the repaired one and gave my daughter the new one. She's in heaven ---whats better than a freebie from Dad

ken

• Like Like x 3
  13. wjiang

Wow that's quite the present!

14. aruba3h

aruba3h Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 10, 2012
    melbourne fl
    Ken
    Great kid---graduated Brown University, NYU Law School---quite the independent woman------seems she gets it all from Mom. Great lawyer but her nickname is blurry----regarding her photo skills.

ken

• Like Like x 1