1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Brian Mosley-forever young

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by daniel, Jul 15, 2010.

1. daniel

daniel New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2010
    I'm 61, retired, to shaky to hand hold with out IS.

Photography for me is just a hobby. I've used Pentax and Oly side by side almost every day in the Philippines. Six months, one year, five months(departing again september). E520-11-22&35, 90% of my shoots. E-1, L-1, pany 25, stay in storage in the U.S.

I have resisted E620 cause don't want two different battery's. But the reality is that I have a hard time getting back up after low shoots on my Knees so articulating screen could be usefull.

I'm looking for a retirment body :rofl:
    And there is the EP-2 now with tilting view finder, old eyes can see.

Profestionals say they know a new camera after 5,000 shoots, takes me about 10,000 shoots. If I get the Pen I will shoot it along side 43rds body when convenient and will take about two years to know it's limitations and be comfortable with it cause I'm a dumb s... . I will not give up 35&11-22 untill M43-9-18&17 satisfys me or to old to carry it.

I gave up on looking for the best shoot and light. Documenting daily life in the mountain villages and the city is what I do. No portrates or macros.

Any advice for use old guys getting less physicaly capable every day?
    Would you be happy with just the pen?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Daniel, welcome my friend :friends: and congratulations... I envy your generation, able to retire at such a young age! :wink:

The E-P2 with mZD 9-18 would be a fantastic alternative to your E-520 + ZD 11-22... add the 20mm f1.7 for low light and fantastic IQ for walkabout.

Cheers

Brian

p.s. in the interests of representational accuracy, I've reworded your thread title :rofl:

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Daniel, thank you for your introduction and for becoming a member here. I'm not sure if you are aware the Olympus E-620 and the PENs use the same battery. My daughter has the E-620 and I have the E-PL1. Although I haven't used the E-620, yet, it's an awfully nice camera.

I look forward to your involvement here, no matter where you post from.:thumbup:

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    BB, that's right - the same battery is used for the Pen, E-4xx and E-6xx series of cameras. Daniel is currently using the Olympus E-520, E-1 and Panasonic L1 which all use the same, larger battery.

So yes, the Pen or E-620 would both share the newer smaller battery.

Cheers

Brian

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Daniel - I'm in your age bracket and sold my (lovely) 4/3 kit and very happy with what I have now.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like the screen on the e-600, and it works its live-view quite competently.
    Another would be the Lumix G1. Smaller but not measureably lighter than the e-600/620. As I see it that's your tilting LCD options right there : e-600 being the most cost-effective since you've got yer nice lenses already.
    Tilting viewfinder requires the e-P2 & e-pL1 as mentioned.

7. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Yes, but the EP-2's tilting VF won't help your old knees one bit. It is still and eye-to-the-eyepiece finder so using it tilted will only lower the lens about one foot. Any further lowering of the lens would require your antique knees to bend.

My choice was a Pany G1 which has a fully positionable rear LCD. My not quite so old knees (I'm 59 next month with more than just a bit of arthritis). With this I can view adequately at arms length. If you want to save your knees you need a tilting LCD.

8. daniel

daniel New to Mu-43

Jul 15, 2010
    Thank you all for responding

Your right, tilting finder will only get me up about one foot

I all so want to shoot straight up, it will work but still on my but

Tilting screen is the only way

Battery issue would be solved with 620&Pen, but need grip of 520 because spending more time shooting from the back of motorcycle, can't do more than five miles on foot these days.

Back to the same issue, face the reality, old guys need small cameras, tilting screens, and voice reminder mode...doctors appointment today!

I'll just wait, use same stuff this next trip....thanks again Daniel

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Daniel, you have a great sense of humor! Perhaps the next round of micro four thirds cameras will fit your criteria - and even include that voice memo reminder option?:biggrin:

Please report back in after your trip and it really would be great to see some of your photographs. I know they're not :43: but a few posts in the Other Systems forum would be great to have.:smile: