1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Breaking news! 2050

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by MrDoug, Nov 10, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Olympus has announced today that after 90 yrs it has decided to file Bankruptcy.. when asked by the Wall Street Journal for a reason the CEO (J.R. NIKON) said "everyone as well as our competition has thought and expected for so long that it was going to happen, we have decided to made it happen" but tomorrow we will continue on with the same great products.. In fact, in December of 2050 we will be introducing the new EP-38L.. with upgraded - standard pancake kit lens .. 12-500X F1.2 that will fit in your shirt pocket.. we also have added the new 200-750XR F1.4.. more coming soon.. :rofl:

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Would probably be funnier if they hadn't lost 80% of their value in the last month and were facing delisting from the TSE...

3. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho

4. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    based on what, out of interest?

Not saying that they def will, but this is hardly the standard "omg Oly hasn't released an E-9 with 12fps, they're going to disappear..."

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul

6. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Since fund management companies are major investors in Olympus I'm not quite sure whether the people who have their savings or their pensions affected by this, or the people at Olympus and their supplying companies who will loose their jobs find the situation quite as funny as you do.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Now just see this
    Britain has external debt of 400% of their GDP
    USA - 99%
    France 182 %
    Germany 142%
    Ireland 3616%
    If these countries can run then why not Olympus?
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    My Irish friends don't exactly describe the situation as rosy...

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    ahhhh ... let's just examine one of your countries. Okay, the USA. The USA can:

1) Print/Create money at will;
    2) Increase revenues at will (taxation);
    3) Decrease expenditures at will (cut spending);
    4) Impose its will on others via one hell of a standing army;
    5) Easily destroy this planet many times over vis-a-vis nukes;
    6) Perform these tasks individually, collectively or in any combination; and
    7) Perform these task arbitrarily.

G

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

LOL ..Olympus can't do anyone of these :warning::warning::daz:

11. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Sure they will...

I'm sure people thought this about Atari, Pan Am, Polaroid, Braniff Airways, Enron, CompUSA, Lehman Brothers, Madoff Investment Securities, Vivitar, Borders, etc. All of these seemed invincible at one point, and more than one have several things in common with Olympus (such as being in the photographic industry or tripping over themselves after fudging their books).

I could find ten times more big names (in their time), that have fallen on their sword and suffered a quick death. It is not as far out of the realm of possibility as it might seem right now. But let's remember - Kodak were once a mighty giant too... and look at them now. And they're not even involved in a financial scandal, they're just making bad business decisions. Olympus will need a LOT of luck to pull out of this one intact.

• Like Like x 1
  12. littlefish

littlefish Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2011
    Glos., UK
    Olympus cameras seem to evoke a great deal of positive emotion from their owners. I suspect that, irrespective of company's financial difficulties, the amount of goodwill attached to the Olympus brand will go a long way to ensuring its survival in the photographic market albeit with a different owner.

Can't think of too many potential buyers though I wonder how much cash Kodak will have left over after selling its patents and topping up its pension funds? :wink: Google recently bought into mobile hardware so maybe.... :rolleyes:

13. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    If not Olympus then who?

If what seems probable and the inevitable does happen and Olympus do unfortunately go to the wall, it does beg the question as to who will buy them?

Could this be an "In" for Canon as they have not yet released a CSC and if their R&D has not invested huge amounts on a CSC could they be in the running to take on the mantle from Olympus, or even become a silent partner?

We have already seen Ricoh absorb one of the long time players so perhaps it is time for another; Olympus has a great reputation in the industry for quality cameras and it would be a sad day to see them follow the same route as Pentax - I would love to see the likes of Canon become a silent partner as it would be good for Mu43 and we would all gain.

14. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    What do you actually mean by that? Ricoh just replaced Hoya as Pentax owners... It's still Pentax making Pentax gear, as it always has been.

If I remember correctly, Pentax also still has the K-mount going strong. How's OM and Four Thirds going again?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    No current Father figuire

Pentax is still in production and makes cameras however, the purse strings are controlled and direction provided currently by Ricoh so if they do not want Pentax to follow through on something, they have the power to veto it.

Olympus being independant had the power to make it's own decisions, if they are "absorbed / purchased" by another, like Pentax they could retain the name but the decisions / funding sits with the parent company.

Not sure what you mean by your last statement - " How's OM and Four Thirds going again?[/QUOTE]"

16. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Last time I checked, they had less than 1.5% of the total camera market and less than 4% of the interchangeable lens camera market. Insert your own jokes about the strength of the K-mount here :rolleyes:

17. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Yes, "going strong" obviously means different things in different states. :wink:

18. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    God forbid we lose IBIS! It's been shown to be much more useful than Panasonic sensor features, like auto-correcting chromatic aberration from lenses :tongue:

Considering Panasonic came to Olympus, who already had 4/3 established, I think they'd welcome another company here. I'd hope that they realize that much of the allure of micro 4/3 is that there are multiple companies dedicated to it, from Olympus and Panasonic to Voigtlander and Schneider. Panasonic probably could survive on their own, but they'd have a bit of shaping up to do with regards to appealing to a multitude of customers.

"

He means that Pentax has shown strong loyalty to its customers (who provide it back in spades), while Olympus customers seem to run into dead ends, with their product lines being left out in the rain to die. OM and 4/3 are both gone, for the most part.

Also, if an acquisitions company buys Olympus, then they're going to cut as much as they can to boost stock prices, if they aren't a photo company. Pentax was owned by Hoya and now Ricoh, which are sensitive to photographers, so overall I don't see them raining on Pentax's parage. If some random equity firm that buys companies when they're down and guts them for their holdings and patents, it won't be so easy.

You have to look at the big picture. First, don't look at absolute market share, look at growth. Lookng around and saying "we're on top!" instead of saying "Look guys, we're falling fast" is not a way to go about life, and it's getting a lot of people in trouble these days. Pentax is becoming a more and more mainstream company every day, but historically they haven't used the Coca-Cola method of throwing tons of profits back into marketing to increase brand awareness; they've been happy with their smaller shares. Compare that to Nikon, who is everywhere and anywhere you look. Consumers are stupid: "I see their commercials on TV, so I trust them as a company!" They also don't want to invest in the massive support network that Canon and Nikon both have for repairs, loans to professionals, etc. Also, they aren't featured at your local Best Buy or other local store very often because they don't loan out supply. Nikon gives resellers free stock, and then get paid once their products get sold. Pentax says, if you take it from us, you pay us for it, and then you sell it to make your money back. For companies trying to please investors, which do you think management will prefer to stock? This almost came back to bite them, as Nikon had to bail out Ritz Camera during their bankruptcy, or risk losing more than a year's profits. Pentax, on the other hand, didn't have a huge line of credit extended to Ritz, so while it sucked to lose a bunch of retail outlets, they weren't hurt overall.

Also, Pentax offers two DSLRs, one at entry-level and one at high-end consumer. Compare that to Canon, that currently has two professional-grade cameras that you can buy, plus one more soon to be released, plus the 5D, 7D, 60D, T3, and T3i, not to mention that the T2i and T1i are still available new from camera stores like B&H. Unless you're just stumbling across a good deal on a Pentax, or you've done research and are buying into the K-5 as a $1,200 body, you will be looking elsewhere as an uninformed consumer.

Rolls Royce has very low market share compared to Kia, does that mean that Rolls Royce is doing something wrong? They've made their own business decisions and are performing profitably in their segment.

19. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    We don't yet have data for FY2011, but Pentax market share has been declining steadily since God knows when. If Pentax Imaging was indeed performing admirably, Hoya wouldn't describe the purchase of the company as a "huge mistake" and sell it off, now would they?

20. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    co
    Olympus will be fine.. shessh.. not a problem.. no one is going to lose their jobs.. this has been so overblown it's incredible.. now is the time to buy Olympus stock if you are a investor.. it's like buying something on SALE.. I think it's in the same scenario/category with why Warren Buffett just invested 5 Billion dollars with BOA (BOA will do well down the road) .. relax, have a cup of coffee.. or a glass of wine.. and chill out.. now let's talk about Kodak.. that is a disaster.. also please check out Panasonic's last 3 quarters profit sheet..