BREAKING: Apple releases Aperture 3 with RAW: GH1/G1 & *on 2/25: the E-P1, E-P2, GF1!

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
What's the difference between GF1 and G1/GH1 files? In any case, if the latter are supported (after all this time) I can't believe the GF1 will be far behind if there's a major difference.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
The G1, GF1, E-P1 and E-P2 all share pretty much the same sensor... the GH1 uses a different one - which allows multiple native aspect ratios.

There's no reason for supporting the G1 and not the GF1... they must be almost identical.

Cheers

Brian

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
The G1, GF1, E-P1 and E-P2 all share pretty much the same sensor... the GH1 uses a different one - which allows multiple native aspect ratios.

There's no reason for supporting the G1 and not the GF1... they must be almost identical.

Cheers

Brian

Somebody over at GetDPI pointed out that there are some inaccuracies on the RAW support page -- some cameras are listed that don't even exist yet and others which do and are supported aren't on the list -- we'll see what happens when my demo copy email actually gets here. Submitted it before even posting this but no joy yet.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Here's an ignorant question for you since you are Aperture knowledgeable. I was just reading on their website that if you are only using jpeg (heresy to many I know) Aperture will work just fine with all digital cameras. It also mentions converting to DNG and I'm too behind to even understand what that is. http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs/raw.html

I am thinking I might like to try it out with my little jpegs from the E-P2.

thearne3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
BB -

What's your question? Aperture works fine with all jpegs. There's even a script for changing E-P1/2 files to an E-3 header and then processed in Aperture. I only bother with RAW occasionally, but when I do, the script plus PTLENS plug-in for lens correction works OK.

AFAIK the DNG conversion process has not been working with recent updates to Snow Leopard - Aperture wont recognize the file.

Best,
Tom

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Tom, thanks. Maybe we can get together for a real life tutorial after the snows. I did notice a script for the E-Ps on another site...but being of little brain in this department, I didn't want to even think about it.

I think I will try it out because chances are good that I'll like it and feel at home. Be forewarned I may come at you with some questions down the line.

Again, thanks so much!

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
OK, downloaded and installed Aperture 3. It sees the preview of the GF1 file and gives you a thumbnail to input. You can rename it, do whatever you like to it but then when it's actually imported you get a big black square and an unsupported image format message. Really WTF!!!! This is so absurd on Apple's part how effing hard is it to do what Adobe, Phase One and much smaller outfits have had done for months?!?

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
My bigger frustration in this--like many people--is that Apple just doesn't disclose when things are going to happen. No effective way to actually talk to anyone about it. If they just said something as general as Q2 2010 for support, or we'll have updates within x days/weeks of new cameras being released, it would build confidence and add some predictability to this. It's so funny because the Apple is the poster child for new/social/web 2.0 (though we prob. should be at v4 by now) and the openness that goes along with it, but is the exact opposite of that mentality itself.

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
Just tried a little monkeying around with the GF1 file in a text editor and can get it to open with Preview when you open from the app (doesn't work clicking on it) but the color is beyond way off. All pink and reversed. I'll leave it to someone with more experience/tinkering time than myself.

mike_hessey

Mu-43 Rookie
Aperture 3 deeply disappointing - Faces & Places are the top of the list of new features, but no support for significant cameras such as GF1 and EPs. In the past support for new cameras has been slow or non-existant, and it seems that isn't going to change. I liked Aperture 2 in many other respects, but won't be buying 3, I'll have to stay with LR (latest beta of this is disappointing in some respects, but at least Adobe supports new cameras quickly, even if conversions aren't always the best). Makes me wonder if I should abandon my Apple computers too, especially as new MacBooks don't have Firewire (and all are limited on ports), and go back to PC/Win 7 (which is mercifully MUCH better than Vista). Final Cut Pro remains the killer app for me on Mac, but of course does not support Pana video direct! I wish I could use Linux more, but sadly no LR, PS and other vital apps.

Mike

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
I don't know if I'd go so far as deeply disappointing, but I'm not overly thrilled, even apart from no GF1 support. I've been playing around with the trial for the past few hours and it feels only marginally more stable than the beta of LR3. Settings aren't sticking. The loupe view has a strange bounding box around it that probably shouldn't be there. The icons at the top look cartoonish and I can't make them smaller. It's like all the things I don't like about iPhoto are migrating up to the pro app. I really am not a fan of LR -- the user interface seems needlessly complex compared to Aperture 2 and I really like the Light Table feature in Aperture -- but until GF1 support is forthcoming it's a dead end for me. Which is really too bad, because for my use Aperture 2 is vastly superior product to the competition.

I've been an Apple use since, geez, the late 80s and think the OS knocks everything else out of the park, and aren't tempted to abandon the platform at all, but I'm really disappointed with the way they support new cameras and with how they've handled Aperture.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Thanks Tom for that link to the script, which I also saw reviewed here: http://www.apertureexpert.com/tips/2010/2/1/a-script-to-open-olympus-e-p1-e-p2-raw-orf-files-in-aperture.html Perhaps my being a novice will allow me to enjoy this new Aperture better than some of the more seasoned photographers out there. I'm looking forward to checking it out and imagine it will end up being just fine for me. Here's hoping!

I also found this overview on Aperture 3 over on Maccreatehttp://aperture.maccreate.com/2010/02/09/aperture-3-overview/ in case anyone is interested.

Elliot

Mu-43 Regular
typicla of Apple, they seem to have a problem supporting

cameras that every other software manufacturer has supported for several months now.

With the release of 3.0 I would have thought that Apple wanting to be a contender in the raw processing market, which is why Aperture even exists, then they would bring themselves to a competitive level.

Programs like Adobe Lightroom, Photoshop, Elements 8.0, Phase One Camera One, Raw Developer, to mention just a few have supported all of the Micro Four Thirds cameras as they jump to makret.

I am a pretty heavy Apple user with several machines running Snow Leapord and I am a Mac lover, but I have yet to the majority of their software workable for image processing.

I read on another forum and I responded to the comments about hacking the program to make it work on Olympus Ep files.

I just don't get it. Why are people gong to hack a program that they are spending good money on based on the fact that it should work out or the box on their particular camera and raw format.

matmcdermott

Mu-43 Regular
The reason I'm willing to use a work-around for Aperture is because 1) all of my existing photos are in it, in file formats it supports and don't fancy reimporting/reorganizing them into something else, 2) because Apple will support the GF1 given time, and most importantly 3) because I can't stand the UI of the competition.

Latest threads

Top Bottom