1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Break out groups

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Imjinman, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I don't know who organisers these things. But is it time to possibly subdivide the Forum into types of oly or OMD vs EP plus possibly others eg images vs technical queries

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Sounds like someone has been monitoring the Fujifilm boards which are set up in that manner.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  4. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    53 posts ... hmmm not much time spent here

Besides I just normally use the 'recent posts'

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't think it would be an improvement.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I think it hurt the flow of reading in general. As per @pellicle@pellicle I usually just scan via the recent category. Sometimes I just look at subscribed. If I want to delve deeper I browse by forum categories.

I think the mobile app usage would suffer greatly if split further.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mu-43 app

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I really like the current setup. Given that the sensors for most of the latest models are essentially the same I don't see any reason to separate them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    my view is that within the 4/3 world that the camera model/ manufacturer is irrelevant.. we all shoot on a distinct format, the differences between bodies and their sensors are so minimal to most folk that they not worthy of discussion.

Some people seem to perceive this as a gear forum... I see it differently... its a forum for photographers who shoot with a particular set of gear.

K

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Kevin

I fixed your keyboard error

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I think the OP is familiar with other boards that break the forums down to camera type such as the Pentax and Fuji boards. That way those working with the Pentax Q series, which produces a totally different shooting experience from shooting with a K series, do not have to sift through a bunch of topics that will not enhance their shooting experience or be applicable to any issues they are having. On the Fuji board they lump similar camera models together such as the X-T1 and X-T10 which are closely related on one board and the X-M1, X-A1, and X-A2 which are closely related on another board because again they provide different shooting experiences. If that was to be done here you might have the E-M1 by itself, the E-M10 and E-M5 series together and all the Pen series together ( showing my ignorance of any differences between the Pen cameras here) or some such as they provide similar shooting experiences within their category and shooters using those models will face similar challenges. It has worked well on these other boards because the responses are usually provided by someone who is familiar with the camera body in question. With such breakouts you do not end up with a Pen shooter trying to answer a question specific to a E-M10 or E-M1 which might have a totally different operating scheme and different issues then what they are using. Another benefit is that you might have more professional shooters using the E-M1 then the other models and their experience on the board is less disrupted by new shooters who might be using a Pen series or some such model. Just because they are made by Chevy you would not ask someone driving a Chevy pickup truck about a problem you are having with your Corvette and expect to get an informed answer. The question is rather when invited to someone's house for dinner would you prefer to have all the meal items placed in bowls and you are allowed to choose what you want on your plate or do you prefer having all the items placed on the plate and it put in front of you as happens when you go to a restaurant which might give you more or less of something you want and more or less of the vegetables you might not want.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I appreciate the reasons for more subforums along these lines. At the same time, most members don't browse the forum by subforum. Additionally, there are a lot of common features between OMDs and PENs or between the various Panasonic lines. I feel the same way about the Fuji lines, which is why FujiXspot doesn't have these subforums the way that Fujix-forum does.

More and more, the web is filled with people who grew up with Facebook rather than the old bulletin boards. People who aren't used to looking for where to post. Instead, it's about ease of posting and using features like search and tagging for discovery rather than using posting in specific areas for discovery. Hardly a week goes by without someone using the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page to ask me how to post a new topic.