brave or stupid? (waterproof case)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Janine4d, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

After ending up in the middle of nowhere in the streaming rain with my GF1 and GF2 and wondering how much rain is safe... I'm very happy to have received my Bingo waterproof case from ebay today - for less than 10 euros. This model is supposed to be for the GF1, but the GF2 fits as well.

I'm not planning to use it for diving or anything like that (not my kind of thing anyway), I don't think my trust in nothing more than a plastic bag would go that far... But I couldn't resist at least putting it in a sink full of water. It still works, hooray! Not a drop on it. Scary moment though actually submerging it... (I had tested it without camera first of course, I'm not quite that mad).

The 20mm pancake is about the maximum lens diameter that fits, anything chunkier probably doesn't, and too much longer might be a problem as well since you probably won't be able to get the camera into the bag.

The trouchscreen is great for this, anything to avoid pressing buttons on the camera is a relief - especially the thumb wheel is very fiddly.

Picture quality is actually quite alright for having cheap plastic in front of the lens, took the picture of the orange tree with the case.

So next time I find myself anywhere wet, I'll put my camera in this thing. :smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I've used this type of bag for several years - great for, say, kayaking or similar sports where the risk of a dunk is significant. One caveat: the wetter the conditions and the more variable the temperature the more you will face (1) droplets on the lens cover and (2) condensation in the the bag. The latter can be reduced with the little silicone(?) dry thingy's. Otherwise, I've found that with care these bags are very reliable.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Who needs "pro" weather-sealed body now?! I've seen things before and often wondered about their effectiveness. Thanks for the report. Not ready to take it snorkeling underwater, but it certainly seems to shoot well through the plastic.
  5. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Just ordered one, could be useful for rainy days, thanks for the tip :smile:
  6. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Oh that's a great tip. :smile:
  7. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    thanks for this post. i always wanted to shoot in the rain.

i have looked at ebay but get many different sizes/versions of this. how would i know which size fits better for my camera, specifically the gf1? tia.
  8. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I bought this one. It looks like the one Janine4d got.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lecaxiem

lecaxiem Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2011
    I have a similar plastic bag bought from ebay for my P&S. It worked great for the first couple of times. Then the seal wore down and it started leaking. Also, another problem I had was that I couldn't see the LCD under water at all and had to just aim in the general area. Good luck with yours.
  10. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Yeah that's the one. It's quite a tight fit for the GF1 and 20mm, the 14mm fits more comfortably, but they both fit.
  11. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Janine,

Which model did you buy... I went to take a look and can't determine which would be correct for the GF series..

12. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

btw...I'm curious, if it'll really come from UK, as the seller is from China.
  13. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
    perfect! item loc is in uk and im from uk too! just bought one, thanks!
  14. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Mine came from the UK, took about a week
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

A week from UK to Netherlands? That's a bit...unusual, as it takes similar time from China. But thank you for your information :smile:
  16. Janine4d

Janine4d Mu-43 Regular

Well, china to here usually takes a month... A week from the UK is about standard.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    I had ones years ago when I had my Pentax ME supper, I used it with a 24mm lens. I took it diving and was fine, although was very boyant and I needed an extra weight on so I could go down. :smile: When I go kayaking and canoeing now I use a panasonic FT1 water /shockproof, but been thinking about getting a case for my GF1 will have a look, thanks for the post.
  18. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Anyone try one of these on the EPL2 + 20mm?