Brassed/Peeling Pana Bayonet Mount

Vermont3133

We Both Love M43
A Pana 45-175mm lens on sale on ebay has a pic of it's mount showing some wear [see pic]
Any idea how it was caused....and any advice, positive/negative regarding buying said lens in this condition?
I have never noticed damage like this on a lens before but I'm guessing it just indicates regular mounting and unmounting?
From a reputable dealer, at a good price and the rest of the lens looks fine.

lens.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I don't know about that particular lens, but people have been reporting "metal shavings" coming off the Pany 100-400 lens when mounted on a too-tight Olympus body. Then the shavings get into the camera itself. Is this what they talking about? I mean, it kind of looks like it might be that.

Those silver-colored flakes have to go somewhere when they detach (leaving that brass-colored material behind, it looks like). So if this is the same phenomenon, then I think I'd stay away from the lens if you have an Olympus body. I suppose it would be safer with a Panasonic body, but once it starts to flake, I'd think it might continue. I wouldn't want those flakes falling into my camera!

You could find the reports about the 100-400 and see if they match.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
If the lens mount was contaminated with something that was not cleaned off, then there would be a weak bond between the base metal and the plating, which would begin to flake off with time. I wouldn't buy the lens.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't think those imperfections are caused by a mount that's too tight.

I had some bad copies of the mentioned Panasonic 100-400, but didn't closely inspect (nor photograph) the lens mount. So I can't vouch for whether it appears the same. I was more concerned with preventing damage to my camera.

I think I'd pass, too.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some camera mounts are tighter than others.
I have three Mu-43 cameras and the same lens fits Differently on all three
On my Panasonic G85 I cant even fit some annual focus adaptors. The best camera I have for fitting adaptors is the old E-P5

As per above post the worst cases were with the Panasonic 100-400 that left shavings in an Olypmus body. From memory the pictures were posted here and at DPR.

The mount tollerances must be slack with the supposedly Mu-43 consortium.

Last edited:

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
Some camera mounts are tighter than others.
I have three Mu-43 cameras and the same lens fits Differently on all three
On my Panasonic G85 I cant even fit some annual focus adaptors. The best camera I have for fitting adaptors is the old E-P5

As per above post the worst cases were with the Panasonic 100-400 that left shavings in an Olypmus body. From memory the pictures were posted here and at DPR.

The mount tollerances must be slack with the supposedly Mu-43 consortium.

Yea, I agree. I asked Panasonic at the time and they said the lens was fine. I asked Olympus they said it was the lens (multiple copies).

Fortunately, the only metal shavings the lens created where in camera stores using their lenses on their bodies, as installed by their salesclerks (after I warned them about the problem).

It sounds like Panasonic may have made some improvements. That happens when consumers stand up to online bullying and complain.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom