Brassed/Peeling Pana Bayonet Mount

A Pana 45-175mm lens on sale on ebay has a pic of it's mount showing some wear [see pic]
Any idea how it was caused....and any advice, positive/negative regarding buying said lens in this condition?
I have never noticed damage like this on a lens before but I'm guessing it just indicates regular mounting and unmounting?
From a reputable dealer, at a good price and the rest of the lens looks fine.

lens.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I don't know about that particular lens, but people have been reporting "metal shavings" coming off the Pany 100-400 lens when mounted on a too-tight Olympus body. Then the shavings get into the camera itself. Is this what they talking about? I mean, it kind of looks like it might be that.

Those silver-colored flakes have to go somewhere when they detach (leaving that brass-colored material behind, it looks like). So if this is the same phenomenon, then I think I'd stay away from the lens if you have an Olympus body. I suppose it would be safer with a Panasonic body, but once it starts to flake, I'd think it might continue. I wouldn't want those flakes falling into my camera!

You could find the reports about the 100-400 and see if they match.

b_rubenstein

Mu-43 All-Pro
If the lens mount was contaminated with something that was not cleaned off, then there would be a weak bond between the base metal and the plating, which would begin to flake off with time. I wouldn't buy the lens.

PhotoCal

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't think those imperfections are caused by a mount that's too tight.

I had some bad copies of the mentioned Panasonic 100-400, but didn't closely inspect (nor photograph) the lens mount. So I can't vouch for whether it appears the same. I was more concerned with preventing damage to my camera.

I think I'd pass, too.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some camera mounts are tighter than others.
I have three Mu-43 cameras and the same lens fits Differently on all three
On my Panasonic G85 I cant even fit some annual focus adaptors. The best camera I have for fitting adaptors is the old E-P5

As per above post the worst cases were with the Panasonic 100-400 that left shavings in an Olypmus body. From memory the pictures were posted here and at DPR.

The mount tollerances must be slack with the supposedly Mu-43 consortium.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom