Brand New OMD E-M5 User Needs Help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tbr48, Mar 6, 2013.

1. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Hi,

I received my E-M5 this afternoon and I am struggling a bit on setting it up. I need some help with the Super Control Panel and toggling between Live View and the EVF.

I have enable the touch screen and the and gone to the Control Settings (Custom, D, Display, Control Setting) menu and activated both LV SCP and Live Control for P/A/S/M as well as I-auto. I save the settings and exit the menu. When I toggle to the EVF, the OLED monitor is dark. I can call up the SCP by pressing the OK button and it appears fine, but there is no image underlying it. When I repeatedly press the OK button, the OLED toggles through 3 screens including the SCP but there is no image only the camera settings. When I put my eye up to the EVF it works fine. When I take my eye away from the EVF, the OLED is dark. Is this normal or am I forgetting to turn something on.

Tom Ray

2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Hit the EVF button (on the right side of the EVF) twice in succession. It should take you directly to the EVF set-up menu. Pick the setting you desire and save.

I think this is what you're trying to set.

Gary

3. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Gary,

I tried your suggestion, and all that happens is the camera toggles between the EVF and the OLED. When the OLED is on, I can't pull up the SCP when I toggle through the Info button. Is this normal?

4. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    Double tapping the EVF button is incorrect, just press and hold the EVF button for a couple seconds to direct access the EVF auto-switch setting.

The rest of the EVF settings are in gear menu J.

5. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Tom Ray welcome to the forum!
    I remember being in your shoes. I brought my camera home and it did not perform at all like the one at the camera store. I was frustrated and concerned.
    Others here have much more experience than I.

6. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I am also having an issue....suddenly after taking a photo with my OMD the image taken now stays on the screen until you press the shutter button again. I have been through all the menus and can't figure out what happened and how to prevent this!!

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

8. Ross the fiddler

You need to go to Menu, Spanner (the last list of menu options) & go to Rec View & select the length of time you'd like it to display for (e.g. 1 sec., 0.5 sec.). It might be something else, but check that first.

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  9. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    Thank You.....that took care of the problem!! I have no idea how that got changed and why......but, thank you!!! :woohoo1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Incredible help!
    David Busch has written a book for OM-D users too. It's on amazon. It's also at the ibooks store in the US I understand. I'm glad I bought one. However, mine is falling apart after really tender use (no abuse.)

For purchase of course.

AFAIK it's not available in Canada at our ibooks store...

11. tbr48

tbr48 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 1, 2013
    Problem solved. I talked to the camera store, and it turns out I needed to press OK first then the Info button. Voila, the SCP shows up in Live View. Actually this information is on p.22 of the camera manual (Duh, I need to read more carefully). This camera is a bit confusing at first, but slowly I am getting an understanding.

12. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Yes, the camera menus are overly deep (although it's one of the most configurable cameras because of it so maybe not "overly") -- but the manual is worse. We've all had things like that.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ross the fiddler

That's also the case if you use 'magnified view', needing to press [OK] button to get back to the main screen again before that can be changed to other screen display options with the [Info] key.

14. judywisconsin

judywisconsin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I had a similar problem with this. Someone had told me to set the time length to "auto" - but on auto, the image wouldn't go away until I pressed the shutter button. If it happens again, just check to make sure it's not back on auto.
    Also, if you learn better by video, CreativeLive.com has a "quick start" course on the OMD presented by John Greengo. It's an excellent course - either $30 or $40 -can't remember, but well worth it.

• Like Like x 1