Brand new EM1 III - EVF weirdness - any ideas? (Update: Confirmed defect by Olympus)

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
So my EM1 III arrived today and I've been testing it. Very pleased so far.

However, 2 odd things happened and I'm not sure what to think.

1) I was shooting HHHR, and when I went to image review, the EVF display went kinda crazy. Hard to explain, but there was a wavy pattern and part of the display was extended offscreen to the right, as if the monitor had become desynced. Note I was using normal refresh rate, not high. When I half pressed shutter and returned to camera view, it was still like that. I turned the camera off then on and it was normal again, and so far it has not happened again.

2) At one point I turned the camera on and rasied to me eye and the EVF was just black.
UPDATE: OK, happened again. Had the camera to my eye and turned it on, and just black screen in EVF. Tried again and it worked normally. This is not good reliability.

Should I be concerned? I never had such things happen on my EM5 II.

UPDATE: I just reset my settings to default and removed the battery and reinserted. Fingers crossed this clears things up. (FWIW Menu button location is annoying but eh...)

UPDATE 2: I now reasonably convinced this camera is defective. I was just pointing at stuff in my house to test the AF and after several times the EVF display went wacky again as described above. Looks like I will need to return it for another. UGH.

FINAL UPDATE: Just called Olympus tech support (thanks Jessica) and they confirmed it's not normal and told me to return it. UGH. :-( I will say they have good and responsive phone tech support, first time I ever called.

Last edited:

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
The EVF weirdness is intermittent and random, but I was determined to capture a photo of it. Finally, I was able to take this shot with my iphone. Note how the right half of the display is pushed offscreen and the display is stretched (look at the aspect ratio of the "A" icon for example). Other odd behaviors include a blank white or blank black screen sometimes when viewing the EVF.

This EM1 III is going back for refund tomorrow. But, in case anyone else ever experiences something like this I wanted to add some viewable evidence.

em1-iii-evf-defect.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Refund? Why not an exchange?
It seems like a very good camera.

Funny you should ask... gives me an opening to vent.

Because Amazon wouldn't allow an exchange. Not even after I called asking for one.

And if I try to buy another one outright, it won't let me. It changes the quantity to zero, and says:
"You have reached the purchase limit for this item. We have changed the quantity to the maximum allowable."

Some sort of anti-scamming algorithm I suppose, and/or related to Black Friday. The Amazon phone rep was not very helpful and even suggested making a warranty claim with Olympus, which is absurd when I literally just received a defective camera that same day and am well within the rights of the Amazon return policy. Maybe I'll buy from B&H or Adorama instead, but then I don't get points from my Amazon CC.

This is the first time I ever bought a defective camera (2020 just continues to be a terrible year). It's a bit disconcerting in light of Olympus changing its manufacturing facilities and the sale to JIP etc. Part of me has lost some confidence in buying Olympus, but I do think I will give it another shot because I really liked the camera.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Because Amazon wouldn't allow an exchange. Not even after I called asking for one.

And if I try to buy another one outright, it won't let me. It changes the quantity to zero, and says:
"You have reached the purchase limit for this item. We have changed the quantity to the maximum allowable."

Some sort of anti-scamming algorithm I suppose, and/or related to Black Friday. The Amazon phone rep was not very helpful and even suggested making a warranty claim with Olympus, which is absurd when I literally just received a defective camera that same day and am well within the rights of the Amazon return policy. Maybe I'll buy from B&H or Adorama instead, but then I don't get points from my Amazon CC.

This is the first time I ever bought a defective camera (2020 just continues to be a terrible year). It's a bit disconcerting in light of Olympus changing its manufacturing facilities and the sale to JIP etc. Part of me has lost some confidence in buying Olympus, but I do think I will give it another shot because I really liked the camera.
They are weird at times.

I tried to order a second time as the original order I got was an empty box. "Well crap, I thought. This is $80 shot on an empty box." Luckily, I caught the mail person and asked if the item had fallen out in her truck. She looked and said, "No. Box is unsealed. Contact Amazon." and drove off into the sunset.

So I couldn't order another one, but I could only get a refund and after they had the empty box back. I was told "To take it to Kohl's Dept. store as they have an Amazon service counter there" along with some email "Return receipt" they sent me to take with the box (This was all via email as I couldn't find out how to call Amazon directly.). Kohls gave me some $5 off coupon to buy something there for just going in. In a few days Amazon, credited my card back the $80, probably after they inspected the empty box.

Don't know why they try and avoid the exchange game, unless they make so little that it's more profitable to push out new goods than deal with exchanges. When I sold this camera stuff, our boss hated returns as it cost him money and he'd go on a rant for an hour or more. Often he'd peddle the item again himself (Never buy from the owner!) and hope they'd send it to the company themselves to fix it. As to Amazon, it could be some third party seller who has limited stock too. Dunno.

That guy who bought the $6K Canon and got a rock one time and a brick the second time was something else.

https://www.diyphotography.net/buyer-orders-6000-camera-amazon-receives-box-rocks-twice/

Amazon's response: https://fstoppers.com/gear/amazon-responds-guy-who-got-box-stones-instead-6000-camera-226829

Good luck!

Real Name
Walter

Clearly, dealing with Amazon can be risky. It's unfortunate that the camera was defective, but who knows, maybe the seller put a defective camera in the box? Olympus customer service has been very good, in my experience, which is fortunate. Hope it works out for you.

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Clearly, dealing with Amazon can be risky. It's unfortunate that the camera was defective, but who knows, maybe the seller put a defective camera in the box? Olympus customer service has been very good, in my experience, which is fortunate. Hope it works out for you.
Was bought from directly from Amazon.com, not a 3rd party seller. I never buy from 3rd party sellers unless it's a unique product that is only sold by a 3rd party of course.

I don't think I was scammed or anything on purpose, just an unlucky event. The camera seemed quite fresh and new. Some small percentage of mass produced electronics will be defective and/or out of tolerance, and I guess it was my turn after being lucky with non-defective camera purchases in the past.

FWIW I placed a small printed note in the box with the camera explaining that it was returned and why. Just in case someone decides to be unethical and pass it along to another buyer instead of sending it to Olympus for servicing. ;-)

Once my refund is confirmed by Amazon I may try B&H. I recently got a Payboo card to offset tax, so that would easily make up for not getting points on my CC.

Last edited:

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
FWIW I received a refund from Amazon for the defective EM1.3, and subsequently ordered another from B&H and the Payboo worked great (no tax!). The camera arrived earlier today and so far it seems good with no issues. Will be testing extensively over the next few days to be sure.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Was bought from directly from Amazon.com, not a 3rd party seller. I never buy from 3rd party sellers unless it's a unique product that is only sold by a 3rd party of course.

See the "Amazon Response" page (link in post two above yours) where Amazon admitted ...
they've been delegating the processing of this inventory item (and maybe others) to a third party, although on your screen it says "Sold by Amazon."

So much for buying "directly" from Amazon.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
FWIW I received a refund from Amazon for the defective EM1.3, and subsequently ordered another from B&H and the Payboo worked great (no tax!). The camera arrived earlier today and so far it seems good with no issues. Will be testing extensively over the next few days to be sure.
Be careful with that Payboo card. Their cust. service guy told me they can take 14 days to post to your account. Even then, if it's late to them even with slow posting, you'll get hit with the close to 30% interest. I have one too and sent the full payment in a couple of days after Synchrony Bank showed it online.

DickB

Mu-43 Regular
Sympathy on having to wait for a good E-M1.3, it's a great camera and I hope you enjoy yours now!
I've had a couple of strange things happen lately with photographic gear ordered from Amazon. One was a lens and one was a Peak Design strap product. In both cases I got a notice that the package was "undeliverable" and would be refunded. You would think they would want to keep the revenue and that I would still like to get the product, so they would send another one, wouldn't you? In both cases I was able to reorder, unlike you.

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks all. After a long day testing the camera it seems to be rock solid. Color signature is different from my good old EM5 II which is messing with my head a bit, but I'll get it sorted.

Mack - thanks for the warning. I went and submitted payment just now even though it's not due for a few days. Not gonna give them a chance to hit me with that crazy interest.

emorgan451

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks all. After a long day testing the camera it seems to be rock solid. Color signature is different from my good old EM5 II which is messing with my head a bit, but I'll get it sorted.

Mack - thanks for the warning. I went and submitted payment just now even though it's not due for a few days. Not gonna give them a chance to hit me with that crazy interest.
+1 for the color signature being different. It was an adjustment from the EM1.1 for me too, but I got it sorted and I'm very pleased.

SpecFoto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim
Be careful with that Payboo card. Their cust. service guy told me they can take 14 days to post to your account. Even then, if it's late to them even with slow posting, you'll get hit with the close to 30% interest. I have one too and sent the full payment in a couple of days after Synchrony Bank showed it online.

Hearsay. Synchrony Bank would be fined by the Government and sued by consumers if they slow posted checks or Echecks, and then charged you late fees. They are just making sure your funds are there, that is the reason for the delay in crediting your account, which they say on their website is up to 6 working days, not 14. They are the same bank who is behind PayPal and I have never had an issue with them in the 8 years I have been using PayPal monthly, or the Payboo card for the last year. If you are still worried, just set up a BillPay account for Synchrony Bank/Payboo card at your bank and pay through that, then there is proof at your end that Synchrony Bank got the money in time. At my bank, online payments to Synchrony are credited the next day (but not weekends.) By using BillPay if Synchrony did add fees, you can have your bank fight them to correct this.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hearsay. Synchrony Bank would be fined by the Government and sued by consumers if they slow posted checks or Echecks, and then charged you late fees. They are just making sure your funds are there, that is the reason for the delay in crediting your account, which they say on their website is up to 6 working days, not 14. They are the same bank who is behind PayPal and I have NEVER had an issue with them in the 8 years I have been using PayPal monthly, including the Payboo card for the last year. If you are still worried, just set up a BillPay account for Synchrony Bank at your bank and pay through that, there there is proof at your end that Synchrony Bank got the money onetime.

Good to know about the BillPay through the bank. I need to check into that as I got one for about $5,600 pending.

Last time I used the Payboo card I mailed in a check (They don't take Visa online to pay.) along with the printout I got online from Synchrony Bank. I was trying to beat their paper bill with them maybe claiming it was sent earlier than what I got so I'd have to deal with the 30% hit. It took a long time for them to post it and I got worried and called them and got the 14 days to post it spiel from their customer service guy. It may have included the mailing-in time, but I didn't ask.

Thinking about it, I never did get a bill or printout from them either. However, this past week I also got an email from them saying something about Jan. 5, 2021 they will "go green" and not mail out billing statements so something else is there to learn about that may otherwise cause a slowdown and maybe the high-interest rate hit which they probably want.

I have had one issue with Paypal, but it was a merchant who split my bill into two parts and one went to his sundry grocery business (??). Electronic item I got was old version and needed to go back but he ignored me. It took 3 months to get Paypal back on my side. I still use it, but need to check my merchants out better.

Last edited:

Bytesmiths

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Thank you guys for making me feel good about swearing off Shamazon.

Jeff Bezos doesn't need any more of my money. He already stole about $80 from me when they would not credit me for returns to an "associate," because their associate had not told them they received the product back, even though I submitted mail tracking showing it had been returned. SHAME!

Shamazon is also well-known for mistreating their employees. I don't need to support that, even for a few dollars off.

If you take a Shamazon ad down to your local brick-and-mortar camera store, they will most likely match the price. If you don't have such a thing, I'm sure the major mail-order stores will honour Shamazon prices.

Shamazon used to be a price leader, but no longer, since they captured a large share of the market.

Just Say No™ to Shamazon.

Latest threads

Top Bottom