1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Brand new E-PL5, dreaded "stuck"(?) pixels, what now?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43man, Nov 29, 2012.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Loving the EM5 so much that I got the new PL5 a couple of days ago as backup camera to take advantage of Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.

But after setting up camera, I notice a bundle of bright BLUE pixels in one spot, regardless of shooting or playback mode.

So I went online and found Olympus has proudly published an article on their "Pixel Mapping" technology here: Ask Olympus: What is Pixel Mapping?

But I still have the following questions:

1. According to article, dead pixels are black, stuck pixels are white, and hot pixels are white, red, orange, green, or yellow green. But how come none of them is BLUE which is what I am getting on my PL5?

2. Even if the Pixel Mapping feature could "hide" this problem, should I attempt to get an exchange from local store, considering this is a brand new camera that I got yesterday and haven't gone out shooting with it yet?

3. Doesn't pixel mapping degrade Image Quality? I mean if the info is unavailable at a specific location/area, what kind of effect does it have on IQ by "borrowing" info from nearby pixels?

4. Last question, why does this dot show up only in JPGs and not RAW? Does Lightroom automatically map something like this out? I don't set up my Lightroom to do "noise reduction" or anything similar so I'm really not sure why I don't see in RAW?

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Stuck pixels don't have to be white (red, green, and blue on)...it could be any one of the three colours, or a blend of R, G, or B.

You say it's a bundle, is it a row, column, or what? Also how many is a bundle, as seen on a computer screen zoomed in?

Just that when there's x amount I get concerned there may be a different issue, rather than just defective pixels on the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  3. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    When zoomed to maximum in Lightroom, this is what I get (see attached).

I can also see this bright blue dot while in LV or Playback modes on camera.

Attached Files:

4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I would get an exchange.

• Like Like x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Agreed. Don't mess with this. Something is wrong so just swap it out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If it's one blue dot, pixelmap it.
    If it's a bunch, then return it.

• Like Like x 2
  7. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Its not a big deal if pixel mapping fixes it. Stuck pixels appear out of no where. If you get an exchange, i will bet that it will either have a stuck pixel or it will get one eventually.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    A single pixel on the sensor will look like 10 bunched up pixels if you do a 10:1 zoom.

9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    number 2. period.

for me is dead simple. why would i "wonder" if i want to return it or not. This cameras are certainly not cheap. nothing in the serious-amateur-pro-photography market is cheap. Why would i even want a camera that is not 110% delivering what it promised. Remember when you are expending your money into this gear is not the "hard earned money" that you are expending, is the "time" it took you to get that money to buy that. and by that I would like a 110% perfectly new functioning camera. right?.

• Like Like x 1
  10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    This is bad advice for a stuck pixel that can be fixed by pixel mapping. Cameras come pixel mapped straight from the factory. Every sesor could have stuck pixels when fabricated, but its hidden when the manufacturer maps it before it reaches your hands. If a high energy particle hits the sensor during its flight from the factory to your door, you will have a stuck pixel on the sensor. Olympus is nice enough to include pixel mapping in their user accessable firmware, so why not use it and be done with it?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Then they need to be more careful on how they "ship" the cameras to my door. right?.

And yes, if you can fix it camera almost as part of the "set up" then is more than welcome to me. Anything else, then is not what i paid for.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I would pixel map it. That's what that feature is for, and it works well. Like Sam said, you could be exchanging it for another one which has been pixel mapped, and that is a waste of your time. On the other hand if pixel mapping doesn't fix it, I would definitely exchange.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I would pixel map it out. All cameras have bad pixels. All. Just like all drives have bad sectors. They are mapped out at the factory. It's a everchanging situation. Cameras can also develop bad pixels spontenously. That's why Olympus has the pixel map function in the firmware. It makes it easy to map out. I wish more companies had that. If you send in say a Nikon to get "fixed" because it has bad pixels, they just run the pixel mapping software they have to "fix" it. It would be so much easier to just do it yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Except sensors aren't ever perfect! Camera sensors are analog devices that need occasional calibration. It can be fine in the factory, but by the time it arrives to you it needs to be done again.

You may not know this but your computer hard drive is the same way...it to is not a perfect device. There bad sectors on your hard drive, but they have been mapped out at the factory. In the old days all the sectors with errors were listed on the hard drive, and you had to type them into the computer...some drives had barely any, but others may have had 50 or more. Today though that's all hidden from the user.

Anyway as I said I'd only be concerned if it's a row or column, or a large group...that indicates an issue with the decoding circuitry, not the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  15. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

Use Pixel mapping.

And Lightroom (and ACR) will automagically map out hot/stuck pixels upon import. That's why I never see them. This doesn't degrade image quality in any measurable way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yorick43

Yorick43 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Lake District, UK
    Yorick
    Mine had stuck pixels as well. Mapped them and never have seen them again!

• Like Like x 1
  17. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Every single new dSLR or mirrorless I've ever bought has had dead pixels. Returning them all would get old pretty quick, especially when you can do a quick and easy pixel map with buggerall affect on IQ.

Remember, your EPL5 has 16,000,000 pixels - bin the broken ones and take some photos.

• Like Like x 1
  18. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback.

Since I needed to make a trip back to the camera store, so I brought the camera with me and showed them the stuck pixel. An exchange was immediately recommended and performed because they have "never seen a stuck pixel so big before."

The replacement unit is now pixel-perfect, and I'm just loving the smaller and lighter "baby-EM5"! Looking forward to doing some shooting this weekend!