Brand new E-P5 or E-M10 same price, which would you pick?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by davidzvi, Jun 6, 2014.

1. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    If you could get a brand new, in the box E-P5 or an E-M10 for the same price which would you get?

Ok, there is $10 difference.

Lived without a viewfinder on my m4/3 system for a few years (I had one for my GX1 but really didn't like it and only really used it for tilt so screen will do the same.)
    I like the smaller size of the E-P5, if you remove the eye cap though seems like they would really close.
    Handling seems to be very close with each having pros and cons when compared to each other.

Does the new processor and AF system make the difference? I think this is the one thing has me thinking more than anything. Does it out weigh the advanced shooting features the E-P5 has? I tend to shoot both RAW and JPeg depending on what I'm doing.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Integrated EVF is a must-have feature fir me, so you know how I voted!

• Like Like x 1
  3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Thanks Paul

Let me amend this:

If an integrated EVF was not a must which would you pick?

Just based on other pros and cons. Especially since the optional EVF for the E-P5 is actually better (from what I've read) than the build in on on the E-M10.

4. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

If you truly could care less about the view finder I would probably pick the E-P5 due to the better build and the 5 axis stabilization.

Personally think evf is a complete necessity

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    For me, it's a close call as I already own a VF-2. If I didn't, the E-M10 would definitely be the choice. Now, with the shutter-shock issue in the E-P5 supposedly fixed, and me already having an EVF I could use, the two cameras are much closer, and I'd basically decide it based upon ergonomics after I've had a chance to handle both in the field. I won't consider a serious camera that doesn't have either an optional EVF at a good price, or an integrated one.

6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Ep5 is sweet. Looks and feels more top notch. But as the other say. The evf. I had the ep3 and missed the classic to the eye feeling alot of times. But its a hard call...

7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Sadly the $$$ of E-P5 new in most places means no one in my area has one I can even touch. The deal I found was on a US eBay store.

Please don't take the wrong way. This is my for fun/travel gear only. I also shoot Nikon FX for events so I see the need for something with a viewfinder, just maybe not this body having one always attached.

8. nixapatfan

nixapatfan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2014
    EP-5:
    Faster shutter speed
    5 axis IBIS
    No built in EVF so it's smaller

If those 3 things appeal to you go with E-P5, if not E-M10

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    To me, E-P5 seemed larger and heavier than E-M10, probably due its boxy appearance. I quickly switched to E-M10 and like it so much better. I never used EVF before and now I find that my photography has improved because using EVF in the sun helps a lot especially when using a polarizer. Also, E-M10's grip is much more comfortable for my hands. I see no reason to choose E-P5 over E-M10, there is definitely no size/weight advantage that I an see.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

10. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Art, do you have 14mm or similar pancake? That will spend most of it's time on the body. So small is a concern. Ibis and a small form factor are driving me toward the E-P5. With the 14mm my GX1 would fit in a jacket or even cargo pant/short pocket. How does the E-M10 compare? And I was serious about removing the eye cap. I wear glasses so I could grab a spare and trim it flat as it really makes little difference to me.

Of some concern, but not a overriding is the price. The E-P5 is heavily discounted, the E-M10 is some but not as much in terms of %. That only leads me to think the E-P5 will keep more of it's value 2-3 years down the road. Kind of that initial hit you feel when you drive a car off a new car lot.

How do the controls feel between the two? much different? The E-P5 is said to feel great. I tried an E-M10 but have nothing to compare it to.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    If you're looking toward resale value of camera bodies, m43 is not the best place to be looking. No PEN camera has kept much of its value over the years.

12. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    That's why I only of some.

But the E-M10 is only $100 off list where the price for the E-P5 is just over $400 off list. That's all I'm saying. Only reason I mentioned it was in another thread someone commented about the E-M10 holding it's value better than an E-P5. In terms of % I can see that. But in this case it's already 40% off. The E-M10 would actually be my first really current m4/3 body and while the E-P5 is current it was 2 years old last month.

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The fact is, the E-P5 was over-priced to market when it was introduced, whereas the E-M10 was priced much more aggressively. IMHO, the market has evaluated them to be comparable cameras of comparable value, with the few added features of the E-P5 being traded off vs. the EVF. I would suspect that they stay that way from here on out. If anything, the E-P5 was devalued by the shutter-shock issue, and it's value has leveled off from that now that there is an effective firmware fix.

14. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Agreed. If anything I would say that the OM-D E-M5 has held its value the best of any of the Olympus m43 cameras, but maybe that's because for some time there was no model in the lineup to upgrade to.

15. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    For me the EM10 is more tempting as it has the EVF, that being said the EP5 has an almost jewel like quality and some useful extras. If it was not for the EVF I would go for the Pen if thats the one that appeals has the features you think most useful.

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I realize some people love their EM10s, but it never really impressed me. Its an entry level camera with an EVF and it misses out on the one really great feature that you can only get with Olympus (5axis IBIS). For me, the EPs have the best ergonomics of all the Olympus cameras aside from the EM1... certainly as good as your GX1 (I still own a GX1, and use it occasionally). If an EVF isn't important to you, I can see no reason to get the EM10. The EP5 is a better featured (and for me, better handling) camera.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    E-P5 vs E-M10

1, Ergonomics (2x2 lever like that on E-M1 I find to be totally indespensable to switch quickly into 2 distinct personalities)
    2, 1/8000 sec as opposed to 1/4000 on the E-M10
    3, VF-4 high resolution long eye-point relief means you see the whole viewfinder with ease if you buy with the kit. Pro on the E-M10 as it comes with a VF-2 level EVF
    4, Slightly higher burst rate with E-P5
    5, Slightly faster S-AF with the E-M10 against E-P5
    6, Slightly smaller body than the E-P5, but is lighter than E-P5
    7, Live Composite mode is only available in E-M10, ideal for star trails photography

One thing that get the E-M10 going is the hotshoe availability. Meaning, if you shoot with pocket wizards a lot, then the E-M10 is the way to go. You have EVF plus the hotshoe free. I can't do that with my E-P5 when the VF-4 is on.

18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would save for Olympus used/refurbished EM1 - with 20% coupon and some luck, you can get it around $800+ .
    Out of two viewfinders: VF2 (equal to EM10) and VF4 (equal to EM1) - VF4 is so much better.

PS: I don't use IBIS on my EP5 very often. My everyday lens is 12-35 and its OIS is equal (imo) and activated by simple switch.

19. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm in the same boat as the OP, kind of :D. Going in to hand test the GX7 vs M5 vs P5 today if I can find stores to play with them in.

One question I do have - how do people go with flash photography with the P5 and VF4? I noticed in the robin wong review -

http://robinwong.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/olympus-pen-e-p5-review-insect-macro.html

he was using

how does the wireless flash sync and know what to do? With the onboard flash on the P5? Something else? Can the P5s flash act as a flash controller without being fired itself?

20. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Oh I completely agree, it was way over priced when launched.

Very true, though I think it will slip a little with the E-M10 out now. I know I would really have to find something other than 5 axis that I really needed in an E-M5. The littler body when you want it and a really nice grip with quick release when you want that. Honestly with the E-M10 out I discounted the E-M5 altogethter.

5 vs 3, they had to differentiate them somehow and all reports are that the 3 axis is very good. No not up to the 5, but still very good. I've been pouring over the manuals for both and I can see handling advantages to both, but nothing that sticks out as must have. The "Jewel Like" description of the E-P5, I must admit, is a big draw.

Basic shooting on the GX1 and many controls were fine. But there were too many little things that bugged me on the GX1. I could never get use to the buttons, Q-menu, programmable function buttons, etc. It seemed there was no why to put the controls that "I" used in one place/interface. Just.... But that's why I sold it.