Brand new E-M5 II for US residents for $729

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by RBrianTaylor, Jul 6, 2015.

1. RBrianTaylor

RBrianTaylor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
    As I live in the United States, I just purchased a brand new Olympus E-M5 II body only from Henry's for $728.30 USD after the exchange rate conversion (from CAD to USD). Henry's has them on sale right now for $899.99 CAD (black or silver, same price) + their standard $12.99 shipping to the US, or $912.94 CAD total. They only accept PayPal right now for orders shipped to the US, but I noticed during checkout that the PayPal exchange fee is about 2.9% (they were quoting me 1 USD = 1.229 CAD during the checkout process). I selected 'Other Conversion Options' and used my Capital One Spark card that claimed to have no exchange fee, and my final payment amount (at least according to my account's web portal) was $728.30. The online currency converter that I use said the total should have been $721.46, so I'm happy with that small surcharge...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tyrepeddler

tyrepeddler Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    Phoenix Az
    Jim
    wow wish I had seen this earlier just bought one from Canada 799 delivered oh well
    Great deal

3. tyrepeddler

tyrepeddler Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    Phoenix Az
    Jim
    fyi that is still only 731.48

4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Ugh. It had been so long since I bought a new piece of kit that I forgot about the Canada option. Painful lesson learned. Hopefully.

5. RBrianTaylor

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
    There must have been some other added fees with PayPal as they wanted to charge me $742.72 total using their exchange conversion rather than my credit card's conversion.

6. Clemo

Clemo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2015
    Henry
    Paid $999 USD for mine and don't regret it one bit!

7. pwol

pwol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2015
    CT
    Do you have pay any import tax to ship from CAN to USA?

I remember alot of people buying motorcycle jackets/helmets from Italy because some retailers had them for super cheap. A couple of months later they received a bill from ups/fedex/etc to pay a import tax/tariff for the shipment. I think every item is different but that moto gear was hit with like a 6% import tax.

8. RBrianTaylor

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
    I don't think I have to pay any import taxes. I purchased a lens from Henry's for about $300 last year and didn't receive a tax bill. And while I'm no tax expert, the calculator at DutyCalculator shows a 0% duty rate for cameras and lenses purchased from Canada. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get a bill...

9. teacher447

teacher447 Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2015
    I have bought numerous items, both in person and by mail, costing $$$ shipped from Europe, Asia and Africa. Including $$$$camera, clothing, glassware, china, etc. The only thing I had to pay duty on was very expensive Italian sterling silver tableware. Something that I carried in for a relative. Usually stores overseas will break up purchases in small packages, if possible, to avoid any duty. This was done for me on a German china dinnerware set. If a package has a value of $$$$ you will pay duty.

10. tyrepeddler

tyrepeddler Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2012
    Phoenix Az
    Jim
    no duty on cameras from Canada

11. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    They may only do Paypal for online transactions but I bet if you call and give them a credit card number they would process it like any other credit card. I use my credit card in Toronto when I visit my mom and have no issues using it there.