1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Brand new E-M10 - AF problem on first use.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PeeBee, May 22, 2015.

1. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Hi Folks.

I must have the best wife in the world! Olympus announced their summer cashback promotion just 2 days after she bought me an Oly 45mm f/1.8. and as much as I love the lens, I was thinking that I would have preferred to have put the money towards the E-M10 offer. She then suggested that I buy the E-M10 too whilst it's on offer. Was I dreaming? So, my brand new E-M10 was delivered yesterday costing £304 (currently approx $475) complete with 2.5 years warranty.

I've not had much of a chance to look at it yet, but I took it out of the box and attached a fully charged BLS-5 (from my EPM1) and Oly 14-42 iir to it and switched it on. At that point, the AF didn't seem to be working correctly. The focus box would go green and I'd get the focus lock beep, but the image on screen was completely off focus. I tried switching the camera off and on again, did a full reset and switched on the 'reset lens' option to see if that helped, but it didn't. I detached and reattached the lens, still the same. I then removed the lens and attached my Siggy 60mm, and that thankfully was fine. I then reattached the 14-42 and now that's fine too. Very odd. I plan to update the firmware and have a play with it later today and I'm hoping this is just a one off glitch. I guess time will tell.

So far, glitch aside, I'm pretty impressed with the camera. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or had a similar experience with the AF problem?

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Is the lens unlocked/extended? You need to use the little catch thing and turn the zoom ring to the widest setting or it won't function by memory.

3. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Thanks for the suggestion eteless, but the lens was unlocked. When it's locked you get no image, just a black background with white text reminding you to unlock it. When I half pressed the shutter release, the focus motor would move through it's range, past the point of focus and then settle somewhere beyond it.

4. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I should point out like others have mentioned elsewhere, the lens mount is fairly tight on this model, so I'm wondering if there was an initial alignment issue with the pins. The 14-42 has a plastic mount and the Sigma has a metal mount so I wonder if that helped 'bed in' the mount in any way?

5. Marty Moffatt

Marty Moffatt New to Mu-43

May 22, 2015
    Marty Moffatt
    I had a similar issue with my brand new EM10 a couple of months ago. I bought it in a local store, took it home and couldn't get anything automatically focused. The focus lock beeped but the image was completely blurred. I could manually focus OK but as soon as I switched back to AF it became blurred again. The difference for me was it happened for both lenses I'd bought with the camera.

After a few hours tweaking settings etc and getting nowhere I took it back to the store the next day. They checked it out, and after much scratching of heads and comments like 'I've never seen that happen before', they exchanged it for another one. I checked that one before I left the store and it worked perfectly (and continues to do so).

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Thanks Marty (and welcome, I see this is your first post :thumbup: ), that's useful information. My issue was exactly how you described it, but mine seems to have resolved itself and if it happens again I'll take it up with the store. I would have preferred to have bought it locally, but the big stores were only selling it with a lens and the local independent store seemed to hike the price up after Olympus announced the cashback offer. I was initially a little apprehensive about buying an Olympus due to the higher number of quality issues I read on the web, and also because the autofocus on my EPM1 was not in the same league as the Panasonics I've owned. This issue aside, the autofocus seems to be at least equal to my Panasonics, if not better.

7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've had mine misinterpret focus a few times, however it's always been in poor light. It was similar to what you're describing though, I got the focus confirmation even though it was definitely not in focus.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    There are instances where new cameras may have cleaning compound or other residues from the assembly/manufacturing process. The contacts between the lens and body may not have connected properly. By mounting and removing lenses a few times, this can some times clear the contact obstruction and give you the the performance you were expecting. I've heard/seen it in just about every camera maker out there.

If it is a continued problem, you could try cleaning the camera contacts and if that doesn't fix it - then it would be time to contact customer support.
    Sounds like you are good to go though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Thanks guys. So far today it hasn't skipped a beat. I've tested it with all my lenses - and they all look good on the camera too :)

• Like Like x 1