1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Brand Loyalty does run deep....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Djarum, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    it seems.

I was in St. Augustine, FL, shooting with my red E-PL2. When I was coming out of a shop a guy asked me if it was one of those new Nikon System cameras. I politely said no, it was an Olympus micro four thirds camera. I noticed he had a Nikon APS-C digital camera, but couldn't tell which one. I told him he should take a look at them, and that they are very capable. At this point, he seemed very disinterested and said that he really wanted to get his hands on a Nikon V1.

:rolleyes:

2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Gear Freak

This sounds like a case of him having brand loyalty to the nth degree forsaking all others.

I suspect this was Nikons intention as they have a devout following and will manage to sell their 1 series even though there are cameras costing the same that can outperform the series easily.

It reminds me of what BMW have done with their cars - 1 series - perhaps this is what inspired Nikon as well as a desire to capture a small CSC market share.

It just needs Canon to jump on the bandwagon now!

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My brand loyalty runs deep, I have a Nikon D200! Except when I'm shooting medium format, it's a Mamiya. Oh, and when I'm shooting large format, I use a Calumet or Linhof. Ah, that's right, when I'm out and about, I'm using a Panasonic G2. And when I'm going out with friends, my pocketcam is either a Canon or Pentax. Oh, and the last film I shot was an Olympus rangefinder. But other than all those times, I only use Nikon!

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Normally I don't start posts like these, but I was just shocked I suppose. It's not like he even mentioned that he's researched the mFT cameras or anything. The guy only cared about what he was interested in, and that was a Nikon 1.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want a V1!

Saying that, they're all just tools. No biggie.

6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I have had similar reaction to mFT cameras from other forums that I frequent. Many people are okay with Nikon releasing a mirrorless camera but doubt Panasonic/Olympus' ability to deliver something good.

And there are some others who recommend canon cameras to others because they have not yet gone "crazy" about getting into the mirrorless space. I guess a new idea/concept is first ridiculed and when it doesn't go away, it's accepted.

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Let's see...
    I have a Nikon APS-C DSLR...2 Nikon SLRs and a Nikon 1 J1

I also have an Olympus E-PL1, E-PL2, a Sigma DP2, a NEX-3 until last week...

What was that you were saying about brand loyalty?

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Since the Nikon 1 system will include an adapter for Nikon DSLR lenses, his interest in the Nikon 1 system is only logical....but it appears that some here have failed to see this :smile:

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    ... until everyone else is able to catch up.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting since a few MFT folks now ridicule the Pentax "Q" system....Just goes to show that ridicule is the same regardless of manufacturer and format :smile:

11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I actually want a Pentax Q, I just wish they didn't price it so darn expensive. All the reviews point to the camera being really good, just not the price.

12. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    This is exactly how I feel about just about every competitor to m43.

Fuji? Can't afford it.
    NEX 7? Ditto
    Samsung NX (do these cameras even exist?)
    Pentax and Nikon? Seem interesting, but not for the money.

• Like Like x 1
  13. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I was pretty much just referring to Canon there. Inevitably, they will make a CSC, but until they do, they will continue to claim that it is unnecessary.

14. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I got all my M43 bodies for cheap. I think it paid off for Panasonic and Olympus to saturate the market with E-PL1s and GF2s! :tongue:

I'm keeping an eye on the Nikon 1 system though, I can see a lot of clearance and used J1/V1 bodies on the used market in the next year. I'd love to get a V1 and f-mount adapter for my Nikon lenses.

15. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    I was a very loyal Nikon 'subject' for decades but simply got tired of the bulk and weight. I was using a Lumix ZS-3 point and shoot for all non-serious fun photography, and realized what a terrific little camera this is with its Leica lens and well laid out menus, controls, and image quality (for a P&S). I decided to get a GF-1 and was blown away by what it can do. From that point on, it was a rather rapid conversion to a full time m4/3 user and total fan, telling anyone that would listen about this incredible system. I am now a loyal Panasonic user and view traditional DSLR's as a relic from my past, yet with fond memories. They served me well but have been happily replaced.

16. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Ditto. I was/am really interested in the Sony Nex-7 and the Fuji X-100. But, the price prohibits me from making that jump. Eventually, in the future I might get into those systems. With regards to Pentax Q, if the price drops to $200 or $300, I might try it as it seems interesting.

17. Brewed4Thought

Brewed4Thought Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2011
    Santa Rosa, CA
    It will be interesting to see how these brands react to their success or failure. Obviously Sony's running with theirs, but if some of these other formats fail, so they scrap the ILC format all together or do they adapt their camera to accept m4/3 lenses? At that point the cost issue becomes less of a factor as the market has plenty of lenses and competition. Do they adapt their lenses for m4/3?

It would be interesting to see another player in the market.

18. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    funny
    to me it just sounds like he saw a red camera, thought it was the nikon that mebbe hes been researching, and wanted to take a looksee

:rolleyes:

lets all get up in arms now ;)

19. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I offered him a peek. Didn't seem interested.

20. I'd be interested to see how many existing Nikon owners take advantage of using their SLR lenses on the 1 series. The 2x crop for m4/3 is big enough to totally change the nature of a lens; 2.8x is an even bigger number. Good for telephoto fans, I suppose.