• Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
  • Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM
  • EVGA GeForce® GTX 660
  • Samsung 512GB 840 Pro Series SSD
  • Seagate 2TB Barracuda x 2 RAID 0 (striped) storage
  • Seagate 3TB Barracuda backup HDD
  • WD Green 1TB backup HDD
  • Windows 8 64-bit Professional
Looks nice in there, very clean. It sure would be a challenge to fit all those HDDs into my mITX case and looks like it would be a lot easier to assemble in there. But I suppose that's the trade-off for size!

phigmov

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Make sure you have a play with the on-board RAID controller settings so you're familiar with the rebuild scenarios before you have to do it for real.

The consumer grade motherboards can sometimes give a false sense of security in this regard.

Disks always fail and always when you least expect it.

With capacities growing so quickly and the price plummeting, people suddenly stand to lose a lot of data due to a single glitch.

I generally advise people to buy two disks whenever they need one and copy from one to the other. For added data-protection, make a third copy and keep it off-site. Various drive-docks make rotating drives in a cycle very practical now for the non-techie.

jamawass

Mu-43 Regular
Really enjoying this thread!

My new laptop is a 13-inch Macbook Air. It lasts all day due to the Haswell Core i7, and the 512GB PCIe SSD pushes 800MB/s speeds for both read and write. I never liked the glowing Apple logo, so I put an opaque black carbon skin on it from iCarbons, which also protects it from scratches, etc. Here she is with the (original) 30" Cinema Display, Logitech keyboard/mouse, and Magic Trackpad:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My desktop isn't here yet, but getting psyched for it is the reason I started this thread. I recently bought a very nice Asus PC to replace my aging Dell (which had replaced an aging iMac) for photography, but my kids commandeered that as a Minecraft terminal.

I've never built a computer before and don't have the time/motivation to do it, but researching the Asus got me interested enough in computers to handpick the components and order a custom build this time around.

Here's what I ordered (from Avadirect.com):
  • FRACTAL DESIGN, Define R4 Black Pearl w/ Window Silent Mid-Tower Case
  • SEASONIC, SS-660XP 660W Power Supply w/ Modular Cables, 80 PLUS® Platinum
  • ASUS, Z87-Deluxe/Dual, LGA1150 (Has 2 Thunderbolt ports and on-board 802.11ac support)
  • INTEL, Core™ i7-4770 Quad-Core 3.4 - 3.9GHz TB
  • COOLER MASTER, Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
  • CRUCIAL, 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ballistix Sport RAM
  • EVGA, GeForce® GTX 660
  • SAMSUNG, 512GB 840 Pro Series SSD
  • SEAGATE, 2TB Barracuda HDD
  • LITE-ON, iHAS124 Black 24x DVD±RW Dual-Layer Burner
  • MICROSOFT, Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Edition
  • WARRANTY, Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

I'm now trying to figure out the best solution for storage. Leaning towards doing software RAID 0 with a couple internal 1TB Velociraptor drives (with on-site, off-site, and cloud backup) although I haven't ruled out getting one of the USB 3 or Thunderbolt external RAID enclosures.
Nice setup but I would've recommended an SSD as your primary drive and an IDE drive for backup. Responsiveness of an SSD system is orders of magnitude greater than an IDE.

jamawass

Mu-43 Regular
My setup (2 yrs old) self build
AMD Phenom II x4 965
Asus M4n72-e
Gskill 4 gb ddr 2 memory
Samsung 840 pro 250 gb SSD (replaced a crucial m4 64 gb ssd)
WD external 750 gb drive
Seagate internal 250 gb sata drive
LG Blu-ray Burner
Samsung Blu-Ray rom
coolermaster Silencio 550 case
Seasonic 750 modular power supply
Back up: Windows Home server (v1) box 2TB

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Nice setup but I would've recommended an SSD as your primary drive and an IDE drive for backup. Responsiveness of an SSD system is orders of magnitude greater than an IDE.
My primary drive is a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD :).

Thinking about putting two Crucial 960GB SSDs in RAID 0 as a storage drive...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Make sure you have a play with the on-board RAID controller settings so you're familiar with the rebuild scenarios before you have to do it for real.

The consumer grade motherboards can sometimes give a false sense of security..
I back up compulsively and often. On site, off site, cloud, print, etc. Right now there are six copies of my family archive in five different locations, so I'm ready for my motherboard RAID to fail me :).

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Boy, I've got nothing like you guys, but I LOVE my computer. It is a 2010 MacBook Pro with pitiful specs compared to the monsters you guys have. I do have a tiny little Toshiba hard drive that I connect daily for at Time Machine back up. Mainly I like my computer because it works and does everything I want it to and did I say it works? They are so expensive compared to PCs and I stressed over buying it, but it is one purchase I have never regretted. The money has worked out about the same anyway, because my wife has bought three laptops since I bought this one.

drewbot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'll brag: I spent all of 1 day deciding I wanted to upgrade to a new iMac 27" and no longer worry about specs and components on hardware sites!

arad85

Mu-43 Veteran
I'll brag: I spent all of 1 day deciding I wanted to upgrade to a new iMac 27" and no longer worry about specs and components on hardware sites!
Well if you do want to spend your life in the computing middle lane go ahead :wink: :biggrin:

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yikes...and I thought I had an overkill system!

Right now:
1. 2011 13.3" macbook air (1.8 GHz core i7, 4 GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

2. 2010 Mac Pro
- Hexacore Nehalem
- 24 GB of RAM
- 120GB SSD as the system/primary drive
- Pair of 2 TB Western Digital Caviar Black drives in RAID0 as main data drive
- Internal backup to additional 2TB WD Black Drive (that came with machine)
- Extra 1 TB WD Green drive (had a spare) as Time Machine backup
- External backup to a NAS (RAID I) for data safety..need to upgrade to a bigger one, though, getting close to full...
- 23" Apple Cinema Display
- Bluetooth apple keyboard and magic trackpad

Non-photo related:
- Focusrite Scarlett 8i16 24 bit audio interface
- KRK VXT6 powered monitors
- Leap Motion controller (fun, still figuring out how to make it useful, but I get to feel all futuristic waving my hands at the computer and watching stuff happen without touching anything)

rich9cinti

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rich
My primary drive is a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD :).

Thinking about putting two Crucial 960GB SSDs in RAID 0 as a storage drive...

Whoa Amin! Back in the day when I had dual raptor 10,000 rpm drives in RAID 0 they were quick but very unstable. Back then, any corruption of any of the files between the RAID 0 drives meant sudden death. RAID 0's in the early 2000's were primarily for speed... Is that how they still use R0's now?

xdayv

Color Blind
Real Name
Dave
Reading most of the posts here makes my computer DOS-based LOL...

Nothing to brag about, still using my almost broken MBP 15 since 2008, the silver keyboard if you can remember...

Time to replace it with either MBA 13 or 11. I'm always on the move (at home LOL, transferring here and there, hence a laptop would be more fitting).

I'm leaning towards the 13 because of the built-in SD card slot.

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Whoa Amin! Back in the day when I had dual raptor 10,000 rpm drives in RAID 0 they were quick but very unstable. Back then, any corruption of any of the files between the RAID 0 drives meant sudden death. RAID 0's in the early 2000's were primarily for speed... Is that how they still use R0's now?
RAID 0 is still all about speed although SSDs in RAID 0 are less prone to failure than HDDs are. I'd be striping two 1TB SSDs more for capacity than for speed.

phrenic

Mu-43 All-Pro
RAID 0 is still all about speed although SSDs in RAID 0 are less prone to failure than HDDs are. I'd be striping two 1TB SSDs more for capacity than for speed.
IIRC, even when ssds fail the data should be largely recoverable (back when people were concerned ith the lifetime wear/number of writes with ssd technology).

rich9cinti

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rich
I just looked up the price of a 960gb crucial ssd, $599 on Newegg. Have you found a better price?

S

synthetictone

Wow... there some really awesome setups floating around here.

I am happy for now with my 3.1ghz i5 27" iMac with 1GB AMD Readeon HD 6980M. 1TB SATA, 12GB RAM, additional Samsung 23" Monitor, and Sabio 4 Bay Raid unit with 4 2-TB Seagate Barracudas running in RAID 5 for 6TB of backup for system and media. Love the Sabio. It works near flawlessly and with what it cost loaded with Barracudas, it was much cheaper than some of the more popular alternatives. It's also very quite with the Barracudas. Sometimes I forget it is even turned on.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Physical failure maybe. The killer for SSDs is driver/controller bugs, and the early Indilinx and Sandforce chips were particular offenders of the random data corruption kind. Intel and Samsung are my top picks right now, Crucial just below that. The rest, I don't trust. There's also the problem of Intel's decidedly mediocre RAID controller...

The real advice remains the same as it always was -- keep complete backups.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom